How to Create Cascading Pick lists

• Hi All

I am making one report by joining 3 tables. Date, Sales and Product Manager table

I want to show report in which first you can select product manager then major code related to product manager and then minor code for particular year.

So need 4 parameters. FOR YEAR 2006 SALES BY PRODUCT MANAGER

Product Manager

Major

Minor

JAN

FEB

MARCH

Alex

POB

GHJ

John

HU9

JKL

Ema

BN

7U

THANKS

• Hi,

you'll need to set up a dataset in your report for each table where you get the values for Product Manager, Major Code and Minor Code from.

Then, when in Layout view, go to the Report menu and select Report Parameters. For each of your parameters, select the "From Query" option, then select the appropriate dataset, value field and label field.

It should then have cascading combo boxes for you when previewing the report.

Hope that helps, Carolyn

• Dataset for Major Codes assuming that each Manager has their own Codes

="Select MajorCode From MajorCodes where Manager='" & Parameters!ManagerParam.Value & "'"

Assumes that the Manager Parameter is called ManagerParam.

Is this what you are trying to do?

• Thanks a Lot Carolyn & Neil

I have made different dataset for all three parameters it's working fine but showing full list and i need same thing which Neil said.

i want that when you chose product Manager then my drop down list will show major groups only related with product manager. Same when you chose major code then drop down list shows only minor related to that major group. every product manager has four and five or some time more then that major group same with minor code.

I tried the code provided by Neil but have error . I am a new user so just want to double check i tried this on dataset of Majorcode.

PMitem table has ProductManager,Major,Minor,Item fields.

I made three Dataset, For Productmanager & Query for that is

Select ProductManger from PMitem

Same thing done in other two........

Please Correct me if i am wrong. So this all what i have done........

Thanks & regards

• Vandy,

You need to add WHERE clauses to your 2nd and 3rd data sets.  For example - if the parameter for the first pick is @ProductManager then the query for the second data set would have a WHERE ProductManager = @ProductManager. 

Mike

• in the query for the dataset, type something like:

SELECT * FROM PMItem

WHERE ProductManager = @ProductManager

• Thanks a lot

It's working .............

Kind Regards

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply