How to create a Windows authentication login ?

• I need to create multiple SQL Server logins based on Windows authentication mode. I could create logins only for those few people who happen to be users on a box housing SQL Server (this is development machine).

However, for those who are not users on that machine, after entering their network logins and checking names I get an error message saying "An object (User or built-in security principal) with the following name cannot be found". I tried to type their names, login names, nothing works.

Am I doing something wrong ? Should I contact system people to import logins to this box from our network ?

Thanks

• YOu might need to include the domain in your typing.

• Try leaving the login name blank (on the add new user screen) and clicking on search. Set the location to your network location where login names are validated, then add the name and click on 'check names'.

When I tried setting up a couple new users, the location field defaulted to the SQL server and wouldn't acknowledge usernames unless they were already set up locally in Windows on that server. For our network, userid's are validated at ent.core.company.com. I set that as the location and then could add any network user's name.

Hope this helps

Laura

• Hi,

I'm very interrested in learning how to do this as well. I'm running SQL 2005 and I have hundreds of domain\users to add and for the moment I can only add 1 user at a time.

Here's what im doing:

1. Click 'new login'

2. Click 'search'

3. Click 'Locations'

4. Choose the location that has all the users called 'Entire Directory'

5. Click 'Advanced'

6. Under the 'Common Queries' tab I leave the 'Starts With' field blank.

7. Click 'Find Now' and then I can see all the accounts

Then what?? 🙂

Thanks everyone,

Chris

• Hey!!!

What if I asked my network admin to add the active directory users

to a group and then start a 'New Login' in SQL, change the 'object

type' from 'users' to 'groups' and just add the group?

• That would work beautifully and save you a LOT of work - especially if all of these users need exactly the same level of rights. Worst case, you'd need a couple groups for the various access levels - still much better than dealing with individual logins.

• We're so lazy! :hehe:

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply