How to copy a database from a different server?

• Hi experts,

I just made a mistake that I used DTS package to copy a database from SQL Server 7.0 to SQL Server 2000.  It actually copied over bunch of the logins from SS 7.0 also!

What's the right way and fastest way to copy a database from a different server?  the database I need to copy has more than 1000 tables with huge amount of data.

ps. source database has users all the time, and it can't be offline.

Please suggest.  Thank you.

• It depends on the facotrs of what you need to move. If just the data and is large most common is take a backup and restore to the new server. You can restore a 7 backup to 2000 but not the other way around so keep that in mind.

• If you are dealing with a large database that has constant pressure, I would not recommend using DTS as it will add overhead to your database and could impact performance.  I assume that you have a backup/recovery strategy?  I would restore your database to the new server.  Is this something that needs done often?

John Rowan

======================================================
    ======================================================
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• What about detach and attach the database?  Is it required to bring the database offline for detach? 

I thought detach and attach would be faster than backup/restore method.  The database is about 31GB, I am trying to copy this database as soon as I can.

• yes the database will go offline, and I wouldn't do it that way because if you attach it will upgrade to SQL 2000 on the new server and you may leave yourself without a recovey option to SQL 7.

As for size do a file backup not tape and send across. But you mostly likely will need to offlien the database if you want to have total recovery without losing any transactions. Otherwise I would do like so.

Perform a full backup

Restore to SQL 2000 with leave inactive with ability to restore additional backups

Set 7 database to admin only and keep the users out

Do a transaction log backup

Restore TL backup to SQL 2000 point user application to new database and you are done.

You might have to sync your user accounts thou with sp_change_users_login.

I also would try a dry run without preventing the users access to the 7 DB and moving the tool to verify if you have everything in order.

• Why not use DTS, but unselect the options for logins?

Scott

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply