How to connect to another Server from a Server in a DTS Package

• Hello everyone,

Hope that somebody can help me with this problem.

I am trying to creating a DTS package on a Server (called Server A) but wanting to connect to another Server (called Server B) to access some tables there on this Server B in order for me to extract data.

I did not know how to connect to Server B from Server A, so I copied an existing package with this Server B connection already there. Then I deleted all the tasks but left the connections, so I could re-use this package. However, I encounter a problem. If I click on the run button to run the package as a whole, it did not run and gave me an error  something like "SQL Server does not exist or access denied."  Well, but if I just right click on one of the data bumps to execute one at a time, it is working just fine.

Does anyone know what and where the problem is in my DTS package?

Thank you very much for your help.

• It is not clear from your post what you are attempting to do.

Some alternatives:

1. Populate a table on ServerA from the result of a SQL statement run versus ServerB.

2. Have a single SQL statement that references tables on ServerA and on ServerB.

SQL = Scarcely Qualifies as a Language

• Hey ????,

thanks for your reply.  What I am trying to do is to extract data from a table that resides on a different server (called server B)than the server  (called server A)that I have a DTS package that used to extract data from that different server (server B).

The DTS pakcage is on Server A but I have a connection to connect to server B, so I can use the table on this server B.  However, when I run the package as a whole it does not work.  The error message says that the server is either not existing or access denied. But if I run task by task, it works just fine.

Do you know where/what the problem is? If so, please advise me on what to do in order to over come this.

Thanks!

• Why are you copying the package to get the server information?   Use the connection object button through the enterprise manager. ie. use the enterprise manager ->data transformation services -> local packages->new package -> click on the required connection object based on the type of data source.

-gd

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply