How to connect to an Oracle database

• Hey people can someone tell me how to make a connection to an Oracle database in SSIS thank you

• klineandking (11/17/2009)

Hey people can someone tell me how to make a connection to an Oracle database in SSIS thank you

Oracle require Oracle client installed for all development tasks and make sure you are using Oracle 9i RC2 client for Oracle 8i and 9i, 10g for 10g and 11g for 11g which is almost 2gig size file. You should also put your TNSNAMES.ORA file in your development folder. When you are downloading the client you should also download the Oracle OLE DB driver. Microsoft also now provide Oracle connector see if you can use that but we were using Oracle with SSIS before Microsoft provided support so it may not be needed. Check the thread below for Oracle download page.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic817115-1043-1.aspx

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• i also wanted to know what the TNSNAMES.ORA means or what it does in your reply to my post, what is it for?

• klineandking (11/17/2009)

i also wanted to know what the TNSNAMES.ORA means or what it does in your reply to my post, what is it for?

TNSNAMES.ORA is a Network Configuration file in the location C:\Oracle\product\11.1.0\client_2etwork\admin (Per my Server where Oracle 11 Client is installed) that stores the Host Name, Protocol and Port for the Oracle Servers. It is needed when for the oracle client to connect to Oracle servers that you are using in SSIS packages.

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• Bru Medishetty (11/17/2009)

klineandking (11/17/2009)

i also wanted to know what the TNSNAMES.ORA means or what it does in your reply to my post, what is it for?

TNSNAMES.ORA is a Network Configuration file in the location C:\Oracle\product\11.1.0\client_2etwork\admin (Per my Server where Oracle 11 Client is installed) that stores the Host Name, Protocol and Port for the Oracle Servers. It is needed when for the oracle client to connect to Oracle servers that you are using in SSIS packages.

There is no fixed location for TNSNAMES.ORA file I have installed it in both C and D drive you should put it in the drive you are using for SSIS development where you installed the Oracle client. You can get that file from either Oracle DBA or members of the data team if you are in the development team, it also includes that permissions of the account you are using to connect to Oralce.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Gift Peddie (11/17/2009)

There is no fixed location for TNSNAMES.ORA file I have installed it in both C and D drive

I have mentioned that location quoting my present server and did not mention that it should be installed only on a specific drive. I too had installed it in different drives.

My Idea was to through some light on TNSNAMES.ORA as the user mentioned what is TNSNAMES.ORA

Gift Peddie (11/17/2009)

you should put it in the drive you are using for SSIS development where you installed the Oracle client.

I don't think there is a restriction as such.

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• TNSNAMES.ORA is a Network Configuration file in the location C:\Oracle\product\11.1.0\client_2etwork\admin (Per my Server where Oracle 11 Client is installed) that stores the Host Name, Protocol and Port for the Oracle Servers.

The above was the post I replied I did not see account and permissions in your post which shows a C drive location without explanation for the location. I have used Win2k, XP and Win2003 connect to all Oracles my reply is to let the user know there is a lot of flexibility which you did not cover.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply