How to check the correctness of the data imported

• Hi,

Through SSIS packages I will import the tables to SQL Server 2005 from Access database.

Is there any way to check the correctness of data imported at SQL end?

(similar post - I posted in T-SQL zone

Title - Comparing tables in Access and SQL

-- regret)

Thanks

Thanks,
    Santhosh

Human Knowledge Belongs To The World !!

• Without defining "correctness" there is little to tell you.

SSIS and MSSQL will verify that your data matches the data types in your desintation table and error if the data does not. Assuming that is what you mean by correct, it is automatic. If you mean does "joe" still end up "joe" when transferring a varchar(10) to a varchar(10) - the answer is that you do not have to worry about it - if you do not trnasform the data, it will be the same when it gets to the destination.

• Are you asking whether it is possible to write a query that accesses data from SQL Server and Access?

I agree that you need to expand on what you mean by "correct".

Phil

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• yes, this is the first thing you must always do when you migrate data from one source to another. you must always check your data consistency whether it is in correct format or not.

most of the time when you have very large table then some of the data of that table gets corrupted but table still work fine in lower version like sql 2000 or access. but when you access same data in sql server 2005 then it reports error.

So, my advice to you is that you should always run dbcc checktable command with all_error_msgs option on, once you finish importing your data to sql server 2005.

• Michael Earl (1/30/2009)

Without defining "correctness" there is little to tell you.

SSIS and MSSQL will verify that your data matches the data types in your desintation table and error if the data does not. Assuming that is what you mean by correct, it is automatic. If you mean does "joe" still end up "joe" when transferring a varchar(10) to a varchar(10) - the answer is that you do not have to worry about it - if you do not trnasform the data, it will be the same when it gets to the destination.

Yes I meant the same...

If you mean does "joe" still end up "joe" when transferring a varchar(10) to a varchar(10) - the answer is that you do not have to worry about it

You mean to say, the tables imported from Access to SQL will be same as Access if no transformations are applied right?

Thanks

Thanks,
    Santhosh

Human Knowledge Belongs To The World !!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply