How to change a Group spec on a report?

• I have a report that was set up to be Grouped by State. I need to change the report to Group on another field. Is there a way to do this? I can't find anything anywhere that shows how...

The report has 60 columns (don't ask) with lots of formatting so I really don't want to have to start over again.

I posted this yesterday but somehow it disappeared...

• If you right click on the group row identifier (just to the left of the group header or footer), you can select "Edit Group..."

Hope that helps

--------
    [font="Tahoma"]I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. -Douglas Adams[/font]

• Rob Goddard (4/9/2008)

If you right click on the group row identifier (just to the left of the group header or footer), you can select "Edit Group..."

Hope that helps

I have no Group Header or Footer. I right-clicked on the Details line and selected Edit Group. I changed the first "Group On" expression to the field I want the group sorted by but it didn't change the sequence of the rows within the group.

Did I miss something?

• Here's what my Edit Group screen looks like:

• That's the one.

Select the field you want to group on in the 'Group on:' expression table, click in there (on =Fields!State_Sort.Value) and you should see it's a dropdown.

Alternatively, just replace 'State_Sort' with the name of the desired column of the report's dataset...

--------
    [font="Tahoma"]I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. -Douglas Adams[/font]

• Rob Goddard (4/10/2008)

That's the one.

Select the field you want to group on in the 'Group on:' expression table, click in there (on =Fields!State_Sort.Value) and you should see it's a dropdown.

Alternatively, just replace 'State_Sort' with the name of the desired column of the report's dataset...

Sorry mate, I posted too quick without properly reading your responses...

What you are seeing there is the Details Grouping which won't affect any groups above the details level.

If you haven't got group headers or footers, open the table's properties dialog (select the table and right click on the border) and you should see a list of groups in the "Groups" tab. See attached. Select the required group and click Edit to get the dialog mentioned above.

I'll pay closer attention before posting in the future! 😉

--------

• Thanks. That did it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply