How to become sql server dba

• Courses, I don't think there are many free courses and as Steve said i would not recommended them at this stage, I would as your DBA at work if you can sit down with them and get them to take you through the basics. Try this site below for some of the basics.

Good luck also I signed up with Robert Half who gave me a free books 24/7 account this is very good for sql books and free courses. I live in Japan however, So I am not sure if they do the same where your from.

http://sqlcourse.com/

• Hi Everyone

First of all Hats off to authors .This site is the best thing that had ever happended to me .I make it a point to read articles from the site everday without fail.There is abundant knowledge that we can grasp out of this.

Thanks for your suggestions ,articles and blogs .THIS SITE ROCKS !!

Cheers

Lakshmi Varanasi

• I would suggest (as a dba with over 12 years experience) that you ask yourslef what about being a dba you wish to pursue

there are many facets to becoming a DBA - and the DBA role often has different meaning to different employers.

A DBA will never deal with just SQL server - but basically there are 2 "styles" of dba (ok there are many variations - but let's not over complicate things)

Production DBA

Development DBA

as a production DBA you will be more concerned with Backups, performance monitoring, communications, server design, replication, mirroring, clustering, snapshots, DR etc - in this role you will be required to liase with network technicians, SAN engineers, comms staff etc

as a development dba you will be looking at Table design, procedure optimisation, feature usage etc.

-in this role you will be required to liaise with developers, .net engineers and report writers.

there is a common element between the two roles, but look at what you prefer and then focus on improving your skills in the relevant area

MVDBA

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply