How to become a DBA with no experience

• JRoughgarden (12/8/2009)

All DBMS's are fairly similar; you do the same things with all of them. It's just the syntax that differs some.

When it comes to the differences between RDBMS's like Oracle and SQL Server, thats pretty much a gross understatement. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (12/8/2009)

JRoughgarden (12/8/2009)

All DBMS's are fairly similar; you do the same things with all of them. It's just the syntax that differs some.

When it comes to the differences between RDBMS's like Oracle and SQL Server, thats pretty much a gross understatement. 😉

I would concur. I would throw MySQL in that mix as well - some things are similar, but it is vastly different.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I got my start by accident. I was a Application and Business Analyst that ended up needing to query the database to find the scope of a problem and eventually landed in a Developer Position because I got fed up waiting on my projects to be scheduled by Developers and started writing the code fixes myself. I worked as a developer for 2-3 years before making the transition to DBA for the next 2 years and then to Sr. DBA after that. All my experience was trial by fire though, and I don't necessarily recommend that for someone just starting out. If you've never messed with a cluster before and you have to immediately handle a problem with a Windows 2000/SQL 2000 cluster, you could be in the position to be doing an "Update Resume, Contact Recruiter" task if you mess up. That's a lot of pressure to be under out of the gate. The best thing would be to find a Dev or Jr DBA position that may involve working under someone who is less educated and less knowledgeable about SQL than you may currently be, just to get the experience. It sucks but at some point everyone had to pay dividends.

Brent Ozar has some good blog posts about this subject as well:

How to Get a Jr DBA Job - Part 1[/url]

Part 2: You CAN Get DBA Experience Without a DBA Job[/url]

Part 3: Getting DBA Training On the Job[/url]

Also look at his interviewing category. It's quite large and has a lot of good information for people aspiring to become a DBA.

Jonathan Kehayias | Principal Consultant | MCM: SQL Server 2008
    My Blog | Twitter | MVP Profile
    Training | Consulting | Become a SQLskills Insider
    Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for Accidental DBAs[/url]

• I've had the same question - I have posted on Craigs List and a couple of SQL web sites for volunteer / intern opportunities (including here) and have been surprised by the lack of response - especially in these economic times. Just gotta keep swinging at the ball, I guess.

I do think certification helps and show's some initiative.

IMHO

• The only other thing to do would be join your local user group. In Tampa, we have a email list through yahoo groups that recruiters and members post job opportunities to. I know that a few people have found work through these posts. Its also a good way to network as well. I am most likely to advertise a position to the group first because I generally know those people and they have at least shown a dedicated involvement in the community.

• The only problem I have the Colorado Springs SQL Server Users Group is the day they have chosen to meet, I'm sorry but Wednesday night is not a good night for me since I have church activities that night.

If they would move the night they meet I'd go to the meetings.

• Lynn,

Thats so unfortunate. Our group meets on Tuesdays which tends to be a good night for most people. Monday is never a good day to do it, IMO, Thursday/Friday you bump up against sports activities in the South, and Wednesday is as you pointed out, a day of worship for a lot of people. Unless there was a locations scheduling issue, I don't know why they'd put it on a Wednesday.

I know some user groups meet for Lunch instead of being at night, and those seem to have good turn outs because people don't have to sacrifice another part of life to attend. You already have to eat lunch anyway, and a productive longer lunch is generally acceptable to managers if you present it properly.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply