How to backup SQL servers

• I have two SQL 2008 servers running on Windows 2008 OS. I would like to backup the entire server (more like an image). I want something to enable me to recover in case of a HD failure.

One server has RAID-1, so I guess it has some level of protection. Another one does not have any RAID at all.

I don't have the original Windows OS CD's at this time. So Windows backup might not be a viable option.

I have a server on the Network with a lot of storge that I can use to store the backups (each server is ~ 180 GB).

How can I acheive this? What software do you suggest to use?

• By the way the servers are HP Proliant DL380G6.

• Virtualized?

• No.

• I have used Acronis with success. I think they have a bare bones version as freeware, but could be wrong...

http://www.acronis.com/

• Do you have standard SQL Server backups running and are the backups being moved off the machine and offsite? Even if you have virtual servers, server image backup/restore, clusters, mirroring, etc you still should be using the standard SQL Server backups or a coparable third party project. Just checking...

• What I want to do is be able to image the HD and store it on another server (that is on the same Network).

I have used Ghost before to image desktop and store on Network drive. I would then create a floppy that would help me bootup the machine and grab the image from Network drive and drop it on the machine.

There are 2 problems with ghost. First, It does not appear to support imaging servers. secondly, using a floppy and having to download Dos Network drivers and such is cumbersome. I have to say that Norton Ghost I used was old however (2003?).

I need to try something other than Ghost.

• We don't seem to be able to locate the original OS CD's, which are required for the recovery process.

• I know the IT team in some companies I have worked in used Symantec Ghost with good resuts

http://www.symantec.com/business/ghost-solution-suite

Jayanth Kurup[/url]

• Hi,

Backup database <<DB Name>> to disk='d:\foldernmae\backupfilename.bak'

and press F5

sethu

• What is the best Ghosting/imaging software in your opinion? How do they compare. I am not full time IT, so ease of use is a key. What I am looking to do is image the HD to a save the image on a remote server. If the server crashes. I would want to be able to boot-up (from Network or CD) and re-image the HD to restore the server.

• While not free, BackupAssist is reasonably priced, very straightforward, and works well with Windows products. As noted above, this is no substitute for setting up regularly scheduled backups for your databases only, and then moving the backups to an alternate site (either a second server in the same data center or a different physical location, depending upon your requirements.)

• techzone12 (7/5/2011)

What is the best Ghosting/imaging software in your opinion? How do they compare. I am not full time IT, so ease of use is a key. What I am looking to do is image the HD to a save the image on a remote server. If the server crashes. I would want to be able to boot-up (from Network or CD) and re-image the HD to restore the server.

Acronis TrueImage is my current favorite; be careful if you need the "restore to different hardware" option.

Don't forget to encrypt if you've got sensitive data/regulatory issues. Don't forget the password, but don't leave it as easy to remember.

Do a restore test, at least once; you need to know it'll work... or what the quirks are in your environment.

• Nadrek (7/6/2011)

techzone12 (7/5/2011)

What is the best Ghosting/imaging software in your opinion? How do they compare. I am not full time IT, so ease of use is a key. What I am looking to do is image the HD to a save the image on a remote server. If the server crashes. I would want to be able to boot-up (from Network or CD) and re-image the HD to restore the server.

Acronis TrueImage is my current favorite; be careful if you need the "restore to different hardware" option.

Don't forget to encrypt if you've got sensitive data/regulatory issues. Don't forget the password, but don't leave it as easy to remember.

Do a restore test, at least once; you need to know it'll work... or what the quirks are in your environment.

Thank you. I am hearning good things about Acronis. I am going to look into this.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply