How to avoid to replicate some columns

• I was just trying to replicate a table from a database to another. The 2 databases have the same schema, so every column of the 2 tables have the same types. My problem is just I don't want to replicate all the columns. If, for example, my tables have the columns A,B and C, I would like to replicate just the columns A and C and leave the value of B unchanged in the destination table if I modified the record or set a default value for it if I'm inserting a new record. I tried several times but SQL Server, during the replication process, drop the column B of the destination table...but I don't want it to drop it!

The replication type I'm using is the transactional one.

Thank you in advance for your help

Luciano

• You can do a couple of things.

1) Edit your replication stored procedures on subscribers. Replicated transactions call insert/update/del sp's on your subscriber. Open the insert & update and comment the column you don't want replicated.

2) Using the replication wizard, you can specify which column(s) you want replicated.

3) Use a script to add your article specifying the columns to be replicated:

-- Adding article to publication - key is @vertical_partition = true

exec sp_addarticle @publication = N'MyPub', @article = N'MyTable', @source_owner = N'dbo', @source_object = N'MyTable', @type = N'logbased', @description = N'', @creation_script = N'', @pre_creation_cmd = N'drop', @schema_option = 0x000000000803509F, @identityrangemanagementoption = N'manual', @destination_table = N'MyTable', @destination_owner = N'dbo', @status = 24, @vertical_partition = N'true', @ins_cmd = N'CALL [sp_MSins_dboMyTable]', @del_cmd = N'CALL [sp_MSdel_dboMyTable]', @upd_cmd = N'SCALL [sp_MSupd_dboMyTable]'

-- Adding the article's partition column(s)

exec

sp_articlecolumn @publication = N'MyPub', @article = N'MyTable', @column = N'ColumnA', @operation = N'add', @force_invalidate_snapshot = 1, @force_reinit_subscription = 1

exec

sp_articlecolumn @publication = N'MyPub', @article = N'MyTable', @column = N'ColumnC', @operation = N'add', @force_invalidate_snapshot = 1, @force_reinit_subscription = 1

Regards,

ChrisB MCDBA MCSE OCP

http://www.MSSQLConsulting.com

Chris Becker bcsdata.net

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply