How to add datetime stamp to a file being exported using bcp

• Here's a piece of the bcp command to export the file. I want to replace, "WantTheDateHere", with getdate(). I've tried using, + getdate() +, but it didn't work.
    PatientFile_WantTheDateHere.txt"  -c -T -t,' +' -SLOCALHOST" '

• bcp , because it is actually a command line utility,, only takes static strings, and not variables for parameters.
    there's a few ways to do this.
    you could always write to a standard filename, and simply rename the file after the bcp completes.
    SSIS is really excellent at writing files, and is designed so that expressions can be substituted for things like that.
    if you are really sticking with bcp, you could use bcp with xp_cmdshell and dynamic SQL,

--===== These could be parameters in a stored procedure
    DECLARE @Directory  VARCHAR(256)
    DECLARE @FileName  VARCHAR(256)
    DECLARE @Header   VARCHAR(8000)
    DECLARE @Query   VARCHAR(8000)

--===== These hold the necessary DOS commands for BCP and COPY
    DECLARE @HeaderDosCmd VARCHAR(8000)
    DECLARE @QueryDosCmd VARCHAR(8000)
    DECLARE @FilesDosCmd VARCHAR(8000)

SET NOCOUNT ON

SELECT @Directory  = 'C:\Temp\',
       @FileName  = 'Test'
            + CONVERT(VARCHAR(30),GETDATE(),112)
            + LEFT(REPLACE(CONVERT(VARCHAR(30),GETDATE(),108),':',''),4),
       @Header   = 'SELECT ''AddressID'',''AddressLine1'',''AddressLine2'',''City'',''StateProvinceID'',''PostalCode''',
       @Query   = 'SELECT AddressID,AddressLine1,AddressLine2,City,StateProvinceID,PostalCode FROM AdventureWorks.Person.Address',
       @HeaderDosCmd = 'BCP "'+@Header+'" QUERYOUT "'+@Directory+@FileName+'.hdr" -S"'+@@SERVERNAME+'" -c -t"" -T',
       @QueryDosCmd = 'BCP "'+@Query +'" QUERYOUT "'+@Directory+@FileName+'.txt" -S"'+@@SERVERNAME+'" -c -t"" -T',
       @FilesDosCmd = 'COPY "'+@Directory+@FileName+'.hdr"+"'+@Directory+@FileName+'.txt" "'+@Directory+@FileName+'.csv"'

--===== Just shows what the commands end up looking like
    PRINT @HeaderDosCmd
    PRINT @QueryDosCmd
    PRINT @FilesDosCmd

--===== Do the work of exporting and combining files.
      -- I intentionally did not include a delete on the hdr and txt file.
      -- I didn't want to make anyone nervous ;-)
     EXEC Master.dbo.xp_CmdShell @HeaderDosCmd
     EXEC Master.dbo.xp_CmdShell @QueryDosCmd
     EXEC Master.dbo.xp_CmdShell @FilesDosCmd

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• I tried to simplify the code a bit for my sake. I think there is still a problem with double and single quotes.

DECLARE @cmd VARCHAR(2048)
    DECLARE @FileName VARCHAR(500)

SET @FileName="PatientFile_" + CONVERT(VARCHAR(30),GETDATE(),112)

SET @cmd = 'bcp "EXEC SigHealth..spRadialAnalyticsDataExtract_PatientFile" queryout' +' "\\xx-sftp\dddd$\RadAns\"' + @FileName + ".txt"  -c -T -t,' +' -SLOCALHOST" '
    print @cmd
    EXEC master..xp_cmdshell @cmd, NO_OUTPUT

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply