how much time re-indexing of non-clustered index would take in sql server 2000 with huge amount of data

• hi one of our client is still using sql server 2000 . server has 4Gb ram and is using sql server 2000 with sp4.yesturday the had problem with one of their tables anf for that i had to reindex their clustered index. that process took more than 3 hours to complete. now i have to reindex their remaning 19 non-clustered index.tbale has more than 6 corers of data.

can anybody tell me how time on an average each non-clustered index would take for such amount of data

we are carrying re-indexing of only that particular table

• No way to answer that. Depends on IO throughput, concurrent load and a few other things.

Restore a backup to a dev server, try an index rebuild there. That gives you a very rough idea.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Once I figured out you meant crore and that is 100 lakh, all I can say is it may take a while to rebuild 19 nonclustered indexes on a table with 60 million rows of data.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply