how does sql server check if a user name is a valid network user?

• When assigning a new login on an sql server, i notice it checks the login name to see if it exists and if theres a spelling mistake it finds the correct name, or list of similar names for me. How does this work?? Is sql configured to check with a server that contains all network users details??can someone give me a bit more detail on this? thanks

• Not sure if this will answer your question, but here goes.

When you are adding a new user and you choose windows authentication, the domain drop down box will list all domains that your server know about.  These would include the local security context of the server itself, the domain the server is in as well as other domains where some sort of trust has been established.  When you type in the user name, it does a lookup against active directory and checks the validity of the name.  It will not let you create a login for a user that does not exist, because it would then not be able to authenticate that user. 

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• that pretty much explains my question. thanks dude

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply