How do you run the DTS 2000 Package Designer from 2005?

• I've downloaded the DTS 2000 Package Designer, so I can now view and edit the legacy DTS packages that I have migrated over from the old 2000 server. However, I can't find the tool on its own, so can't work out how to create a new package. In time we'll be moving over to SSIS, but for now whilst we're migrating the existing DTS packages over from the old server to the new one, there is a requirement to create a few new DTS packages. It seems an unnecessary process to write the package on the 2000 server and then have to migrate it over to the new 2005 box. Can the DTS 2000 Package Designer be used on the 2005 server to create new packages?

Thanks.

• I have not had good luck using the DTS Designer in SQL 2005. It was buggy and was a modal window (at least it used to be) so I resorted to installing the SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Manager to do any work on DTS.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• I haven't had much success with it so far, I must say.

I've tried editing an existing package, to change the connection to output to a different text file, and then save as a new package, and setting up the connection properties of the new text file is much more difficult than it was under 2000 Enterprise Manager. It's frustrating that MS have designed a screen which to all intents looks the same, yet is really quite different. The modal properties are a pain too, as you can't copy and paste code between packages easily anymore, only being able to open and edit one at a time. Must've been written by a man who assumes that multitasking is impossible 😉

• You Can migrate the Existing DTS Package from 2005 Migration wizard it it will reduce your 80% design work and then you need to do some batch work to meet 2005.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply