How do you handle halfwit developers?

• "Ah - I see!", cried the blind man as he stumbled across the rock in the road.

Step 2:  We broke it, we own it!

Step 3:  I will learn to trust that there are some codes that are unique without being an automatically generated identity! 

• Referring to anyone as "halfwit" shows you to be a poor human being, and probably explains why you have problems.

Fitting name by the way.

• Learn Their Language!

I usually say that I earned my MCSD.NET in addition to my MCDBA only in order to know how exactly them, developers, will corrupt my databases 🙂

Totally agree with what Rudy says about standards - I try to outsource this part to our project manager, system engineers and corporate security team.

A DBA advice: if your developers are too resourceful, maintain a good backup schedule so you can restore the database if needed.

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• What exactly is your problem - unable to read and understand perhaps?  I suggest you go and lookup what tongue in cheek means, assuming that your level of ignorance is indeed as grotesque as you imply. 

Any way, what is wrong with my name?   

• wangkhar,

How can you manage developers and educate them with such an agressive attitude? The problems you have with developers is not uncommon, on the contrary, but the solution is 10% technical, 40% management and 50% human skills.

Nobody likes to be wrong and everybody wants to improve. That's universal, but to improve you first need to acknowledge you are wrong. Developers are not assholes, they are (usually ) decent human beings that simply don't understand relational theory. Help them! Educate them! If you do it nicely, they will be grateful.

And when they do something really stupid, don't shove it down their throat and don't squeeze them in a corner: that will get you only more resistance. Always help, but let them choose between accepting your helping hand or digging their own hole. If it is done with skill, they will learn and be grateful for it.

If you have mastered relational theory you now have the opportunity to redistribute that knowledge and share your passion. You also have the opportunity to learn more about the way you interact with others. Human relationship is another skill that can be developed.

Have a very nice day

• In response to the original question...

The front end developers should write the front end, the BAL objects and the DAL layer with the proc calls.

Nothing past that.

C#/Vb.net/etc are fundamentally different languages from T-SQL.

You should have database developers write the database code.

If you're a DBA and you don't have the time to write all the database stuff that the FE developers need, then you need to hire a database developer to do so.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply