How do you get Reporting Services to use a 32-bit ODBC?

• I am running a 64-bit SQL Server Reporting Service, and I am trying to use an Excel document as a Shared Data Source. I use Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 to create a Report Server Project and when I do the preview everything looks ok. However, when I Deploy the project I get the error:

ERROR [IM002] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified

I suspect I get this error because the ODBC connection is not being seen. Since x64 ODBC does not recognize XLS driver I created the connection using “odbcad32.exe.” I think the Reporting Services is still looking at x64 ODBC.

How do I save the project as a 32-bit project or make Reporting Services also look at the x32 ODBC?

Thank you.

• Have you created the DSN on the server and/or the client running reporting services?

• Hello,

Yes I created a 32-Bit DSN on the server. The problem is the Report Server appears not to want to use it.

• If you are in Win2003 IIS6 needs to run in 32bits mode because by using x86 Excel you reports must run in x86 mode which means IIS6 must run in x86 mode.

If you are in Win2008 IIS7 can run in both modes.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Gift Peddie (6/11/2009)

If you are in Win2003 IIS6 needs to run in 32bits mode because by using x86 Excel you reports must run in x86 mode which means IIS6 must run in x86 mode.

If you are in Win2008 IIS7 can run in both modes.

I am running Win2008 IIS7.

• The 32-bit version of the Odbcad32.exe file is located in the %systemdrive%\Windows\SysWoW64 folder

You need to use the ODBC in the above directory and you need to create a new application configured to run as x86 in IIS 7 because it can run in both modes.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Gift Peddie (6/18/2009)

The 32-bit version of the Odbcad32.exe file is located in the %systemdrive%\Windows\SysWoW64 folder

you need to create a new application configured to run as x86 in IIS 7

And how would I do that?

• Here is how you create x86 and x64 application pool in IIS 7.

http://blogs.msdn.com/rakkimk/archive/2007/11/03/iis7-running-32-bit-and-64-bit-asp-net-versions-at-the-same-time-on-different-worker-processes.aspx

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• I followed the instructions, however by enabling the 32 bit it disables Reporting Service page.

Thank you

• junkmail (6/30/2009)

I followed the instructions, however by enabling the 32 bit it disables Reporting Service page.

Thank you

Yes IIS7 can run in both mode but per Microsoft you can only run SSRS in one mode so if you must use Excel then you have to run the 32bits that is x86 version of SSRS only. Check below for how to change to 32bits or you may not run Excel.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934162

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• No support for 64 bit really stinks. I wonder what will happen when the Office 2010 64 bit version comes out.

If you do not change your SSRS server then what are the other options?

thank you.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply