How do I see Space Allocated - Used via TSQL for multiple data and log files for a DB?

• My tempdb database has 4 data files and 1 log file. I need to monitor the growth of each data and log file to make sure they don't fill up completely. The Taskpad view in SQL 2000 shows me what I am looking for however I want to be able to schedule a job that would collect the same data automatically for a certain period of time. Is there a way to collect and present that data using TSQL?

• I believe this simple query will work:

from db in question:

select name, (size * 8)/1024 from sysfiles

will give you size in MB

• Take a look at the script on the link below. It will return a detailed analysis of all database files on a server.

Get Server Database File Information

http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=89058

• Great! Thanks for the tip. That query shows me what I'm looking to gather.

• Hi,

Just excute DBCC SQLPERF(LOGSPACE)

Regards,

Ahmed

• I've tried that before and it only show me the total for all the tempdb. My tempdb has multiple files and I want to know the stats of each of the files. Thanks though.

• Hi,

Check this TSQL

Declare @dbName sysname

declare @strSQL sysname

-- Get Databases names for Online ones.

Declare @nextExtension Float

Declare cDB Cursor For Select name From master..sysdatabases Where status&512=0

Create Table #spHelpFile([DbName] sysname null,[DLFileName] sysname,fileid smallint ,[filename] nchar(240) ,[filegroup] sysname null,[Size] nvarchar(18),[MaxSize] nvarchar(18),growth nvarchar(18),usage varchar(9))

Open cDB

Fetch Next From cDB Into @dbName

While @@Fetch_Status =0

Begin

Set @strSQL = 'use ' + @dbName + ' exec sp_helpfile'

Insert into #spHelpFile ([DLFileName],fileid,[filename],[filegroup],[Size],[MaxSize],growth,usage)

Exec(@strSQL)

Declare @st varchar (400)

Set @st='Update #spHelpFile

Set [DbName]= ''' + @dbName + ''' ,[Size]= Convert(Float,Rtrim(Ltrim(Replace([Size],''KB'','''')))),[MaxSize]=Convert(bigint,Case When [MaxSize]=''Unlimited'' Then ''0'' Else Rtrim(Ltrim(Replace([MaxSize],''KB'',''''))) End) Where [DbName] Is Null'

exec(@st)

Update #spHelpFile

Set growth=Case

When Charindex('%',growth)=0 Then Convert(Decimal(10,2),Convert(Float,Replace(growth,'KB',''))) Else (Convert(Float,Replace(growth,'%','')) * [Size])/100

End

Fetch Next From cDB Into @dbName

End

Close cDB

Deallocate cDB

Select

substring([DbName],1,40) As [Database Name]

,substring([DLFileName],1,50) As [Data/Log File Name]

,Case

When [filegroup]='PRIMARY' Then 'Data' Else 'Log'

End As [File Type]

,Convert(bigint,Convert(Float,[Size])) As [Size (KB)]

,[MaxSize] As [MaxSize (KB)]

,Growth As [Next Extension]

,Substring([filename],1,1) As Drive

From

#spHelpFile

Drop table #spHelpFile

Regards,

Ahmed

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply