How can we see all database tables name and sizes

• Hi,

How can we see all tables names and size of tables in (mb ) from database with query .

thaxxx

regards

jagpal singh

• jagpalsingh4 (3/18/2008)

Hi,

How can we see all tables names and size of tables in (mb ) from database with query .

thaxxx

regards

jagpal singh

Try this - results are in kb:

select name

, reserved = reserved * 8

, data = data * 8

, index_size = CASE WHEN data > pages THEN (data - pages) ELSE 0 END * 8

, unused = CASE WHEN reserved > data THEN (reserved - data) ELSE 0 END * 8

from

(

select

name

, sum(reserved_page_count) as reserved

, sum(used_page_count) as data

, sum(

case

when (index_id < 2) then (in_row_data_page_count + lob_used_page_count + row_overflow_used_page_count)

else lob_used_page_count + row_overflow_used_page_count

end

) as pages

, sum(

case

when (index_id < 2) then row_count

else 0

end

) as row_count

from sys.dm_db_partition_stats s

join sys.tables t on t.object_id = s.object_id

group by name

) as table_sizes

• Something like this should help.

CREATE TABLE #temp (

table_name sysname ,

row_count int,

reserved_size varchar(50),

data_size varchar(50),

index_size varchar(50),

unused_size varchar(50)

)

SET NOCOUNT ON

INSERT #temp

EXEC sp_msforeachtable 'sp_spaceused ''?'''

SELECT a.table_name,

a.row_count,

count(*) as col_count,

a.data_size [Data_Size_KB],

1.0 * CAST(Replace(a.data_size, ' KB', '') as decimal(9,3)) / 1024 as [Data_Size_MB]

FROM #temp a

INNER JOIN information_schema.columns b

ON a.table_name = b.table_name

GROUP BY a.table_name, a.row_count, a.data_size

ORDER BY CAST(Replace(a.data_size, ' KB', '') as int) desc

DROP TABLE #temp

• I should point out that my method will not return correct results for tables with XML indexes or full text indexes, whereas Adam's method will return correct results. But then with that method you're effectively using a cursor so pick your poison 🙂

• You can also right click the database in SSMS, choose Reports, and look for one that matches your needs. There are a number of standard reports that might help.

• This gives you the information you want, along with a more detailed analysis.

Script to analyze table space usage

http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=61762

• You can also right click the database in SSMS, choose Reports, and look for one that matches your needs. There are a number of standard reports that might help.

These reports are nice and can help you identify large tables.

This gives you the information you want, along with a more detailed analysis.

Script to analyze table space usage

http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=61762

Good, link Michael. I saved this one 🙂

• hi,

will u plz clear me this ssms, and that query is lovely will u plz tell me how to see reports from ssms .

thaxx

• Right-click the database --> reports --> standard reports --> disk usage by table

• hi

I have done this before but when i right click the database thn there is no option of reports .Thats y i am confused that what is ssms .and plz tell me what can i do now

thaxx for ur reply and sorry fro inconvenience

regards

jagpal singh

• SSMS is SQL Server Management Studio

What service pack is your instance on? I think you need to be on service pack 2.

• If you're not on the latest service pack then the reports are viewable from the summary tab in ssms. Select the summary tab, select a database and then the Report button should become visible in the summary tab toolbar.

• hi,

Thaxxx now i have done this .

regards

jagpal singh

• If you're not on the latest service pack then the reports are viewable from the summary tab in ssms. Select the summary tab, select a database and then the Report button should become visible in the summary tab toolbar.

Thanks Karl. I havent been on SP1 in a while and could not remember if reporting was available in SP1, without reporting services being installed.

• I have done this before but when i right click the database thn there is no option of reports .Thats y i am confused that what is ssms .and plz tell me what can i do now

SSMS = SQL Server Management Studio

To see the Reports you must have SQL Server 2005 SP2 installed.

[font="Arial Narrow"](PHB) I think we should build an SQL database. (Dilbert) What color do you want that database? (PHB) I think mauve has the most RAM.[/font]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply