How can one be a proper DBA these days when everything is scripted?

• I used to work supporting a number of servers and databases for a medium sized company that was back when I was working on MS-SQL 6 and some 2000 servers the good old days when scripting was good for say log shipping and we had to write our own tools now everything is ever written by ms and put into a GUI or its written internally by software Eng departments.

Dont you think its taking all the fun out of being a DBA.

Terry

• Naw, I just script anyway. ๐Ÿ™‚

David

@SQLTentmaker

โ€œHe is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot loseโ€ - Jim Elliot

• No terry,

Still there are lost of new features are there which DBA can target. eg. high availability like mirroring, Snapshot, service broker, clr intigrity, xml and much more etc....

I feel challenges is increasing day by day for DBA.

Cheers

---------------------------------------------------
    "Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

• GUI and related tools are nice to have features yet I script everything.

All changes applied to production MUST be scripted not done on a GUI therefore and since you have to test the scripts all changes to UAT have to be scripted anyway ๐Ÿ˜‰

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • free_mascot (2/12/2009)

Still there are lost of new features are there which DBA can target. eg. high availability like mirroring, Snapshot, service broker, clr intigrity, xml and much more etc....

I feel challenges is increasing day by day for DBA.

Agreed - and there is so much more that is available in understanding what is going on behind the scenes through DMV's, etc that there is a ton of opportunity for growth.

David

@SQLTentmaker

โ€œHe is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot loseโ€ - Jim Elliot

• Adding to this, there are also lots of changes been there on SQL server, and you got more information to analyze, the more you get the more easier and complicated it gets and the more you learn ( good part) ๐Ÿ˜€

• The only thing is that since everything is GUI, The developers think that there is no need for a DBA since they can do it by themselves. Also you see quite a lot of pretend DBAs if I may say so. ๐Ÿ˜€

-Roy

• 1) Who writes these scripts? Getting these right is a skill worth exploiting.

2) Have you seen how complex SQL Server 2008 is? It is like really complex! ๐Ÿ™‚ Microsoft have delivered a product that will keep many DBAs in their jobs for many years.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hรฉlder Cรขmara

• Roy Ernest (2/12/2009)

The only thing is that since everything is GUI, The developers think that there is no need for a DBA since they can do it by themselves. Also you see quite a lot of pretend DBAs if I may say so. ๐Ÿ˜€

You are spot on Roy.

The sad part of it is DBAs have to go and clean the mess these geniouses left behind ๐Ÿ˜€

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • I find that by finding out what sql/commands the GUI is running I am able to understand how new features work. I can use profiler to trace it or use the 'generate script' button on newer versions to see the SQL statements and then dive straight into BOL and look at what is being done. I think the GUI is good but there are always more options by doing the task via a script.

• A good DBA will never stop learning - the knowledge to be gained in this field is infinite in my opinion - GUI's can make more mundane tasks easier but that just frees up more time to get stuck into the more complex issues...

• Jack Kennedy (2/13/2009)

A good DBA will never stop learning - the knowledge to be gained in this field is infinite in my opinion - GUI's can make more mundane tasks easier but that just frees up more time to get stuck into the more complex issues...

Nicely done. You have my vote!

• PaulB (2/12/2009)

GUI and related tools are nice to have features yet I script everything.

All changes applied to production MUST be scripted not done on a GUI therefore and since you have to test the scripts all changes to UAT have to be scripted anyway ๐Ÿ˜‰

Same here. All changes are done through source controlled scripts, even if it is something silly, because scripts guarantee consistent results over time.

Jonathan Kehayias | Principal Consultant | MCM: SQL Server 2008
    My Blog | Twitter | MVP Profile
    Training | Consulting | Become a SQLskills Insider
    Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for Accidental DBAs[/url]

• Jack Kennedy (2/13/2009)

A good DBA will never stop learning - the knowledge to be gained in this field is infinite in my opinion - GUI's can make more mundane tasks easier but that just frees up more time to get stuck into the more complex issues...

Excellently put. Even with all the improvements that come in the newer versions of SQL Server, there is plenty for a DBA to learn and still need to know the DDL/DML scripts behind. Ever partition a table in SQL 2005? Tried to use Extended Events in SQL Server 2008 yet? How about Change Data Capture, or Change Tracking? You had better know your scripting to dive into the newer features.

If you don't feel like this is enough of a challenge, take a new feature, and try writing a GUI for it if it doesn't have one. One of two things will happen. You will either have a new found respect for the guys who write this stuff and you will become an expert in that new area of SQL Server, or you will give up because it really isn't as easy as one might think to do.

Jonathan Kehayias | Principal Consultant | MCM: SQL Server 2008
    My Blog | Twitter | MVP Profile
    Training | Consulting | Become a SQLskills Insider
    Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for Accidental DBAs[/url]

• Iโ€™m thankful for the GUI simplifying tasks. I need the time since creating ANYTHING in SSIS takes about 100 times longer than it did in DTS.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply