• Igor Micev (2/25/2016)

Orlando Colamatteo (2/25/2016)

Igor Micev (2/25/2016)

Orlando Colamatteo (2/24/2016)

Igor Micev (2/24/2016)

Orlando Colamatteo (2/21/2016)

etl2016 (2/21/2016)

Hi,

I am willing to go for a All-in-One Desktop, for home computing/educational purpose, mostly having Microsoft development apps such as below.

Could you please suggest if 8GB RAM and Core i5 CPU should be sufficient, or I need to go for higher config?

Azure

Visual Studio

SSMS and All Business Intelligence components (IS, AS, RS)

HDInsight

.NET Framework 4.0

APS/MPP/PDW

thank you

... (e.g. SQL Server with large databases attached and testing workloads, etc.) or experiment with closer to real world environments then I would go for more RAM and more CPU cores.

Are you serious? You'll have to wait for at least a day to restore a 300GB database; what to say for 1TB.

RAM and more CPU is not saving you that much; what you need is having a good disk system.

Of course I am serious, otherwise I would nat have posted. It depends on what you need. I haven't worked on a machine with an HDD for over two years. SSD all the way.

SSD is just a fame. I don't think it will help a lot with big databases (let's say 300+ GBs as a measure for a big database). But that's the best option for a notebook, though.

What do you mean by fame?

Forget the size of the database. I could have throw a query at a 1GB database and bring pretty much any machine to its knees.

Fame - The state of being well-known and much spoken.

Sorry, I am still not getting what you mean by "is just a fame." Are you meaning they are a passing trend? If that is what you meant then I hope you are right because it mans something better is coming along soon 🙂

We had installed a SSD on a server where we have lots of updates (5K/sec) - what happened is the SSD "burnt out" for 2 months. It became bad-responsive (r/w ~ 1.5s or 1500ms) so we needed to remove it.

Yep, that can happen. For a laptop or workstation I wouldn't be looking at HDD these days however with the price of SSDs and what I need to do with them. Good solid state storage manages that burnout effect for you and reports when usable storage is shrinking so you know it might be time to replace a drive.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• etl2016 (2/21/2016)

Hi,

I am willing to go for a All-in-One Desktop, for home computing/educational purpose, mostly having Microsoft development apps such as below.

Could you please suggest if 8GB RAM and Core i5 CPU should be sufficient, or I need to go for higher config?

Azure

Visual Studio

SSMS and All Business Intelligence components (IS, AS, RS)

HDInsight

.NET Framework 4.0

APS/MPP/PDW

thank you

I'm not sure why the discussion got side tracked earlier on 1 TB sized databases. To simulate a production environment for ETL and performance optimization, you can work with databases in the 10 GB sized range, which is entirely managable on a mid-range PC with a standard HD.

For SQL Server Developer Edition, SSIS, Visual Studio, etc., you basically need 4 GB of RAM, or 8 - 16 GB, if you also want to run virtual machines(s). Some of the platforms you're interested in, like HDInsight and Azure, are cloud based hosted services, so it makes sense not to run them locally on your PC, even if that is technically an option.

As for APS (Microsoft Analytics Platform System), MPP (massively parallel processing), and PDW (SQL Server Parallel Data Warehouse), that's obviously something you won't be replicating in your home office. Maybe you can find a cloud based service that, but I would suggest focussing on SQL Server Enterprise and Azure.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• I'm with Eric, why worry about 100s of GB for a laptop?

I run plenty of SQL virtual machines with 2-4GB to test things. They work fine.

SSDs are a must. They really make things easier. I'd rather have an SSD and 8GB and HDD+16GB. However that's me.

Go x64. No reason to ever buy or install a x86 OS again.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply