High PF Usage

• peace2007 (3/17/2009)

peace2007 (3/16/2009)

by the way, I have 2 drives, shall I set the page file size for each drive to 12 GB or the total size should be 12? besides, what shall I set for initial and max size

could anyone answer this please?

yes u can strip the page file among hard disks,provided u have separate hard disk not a partitioned one.

read this article for detail info

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-1057031.html?tag=rbxccnbtr1"> http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-1057031.html?tag=rbxccnbtr1

Regards,
    [font="Verdana"]Sqlfrenzy[/font]

• i Think, it is enough for you 4000 PF as max(you can divid them among disks if you want), and in this situation more than 50% of your DB will be in memory.

to be sure try to run performance counter "Page Life Expectancy" and if it will be high value this mean that everything is ok from memory side.

Tell me your Avg Value

• Please talk to your Windows support people before changing the Windows page file size. If you move away from your site standards you will not get any thanks.

Many people still use the very out of date advice that the page file size should be 1.5 times the physical memory. This was good(ish) advice when a big server had 2GB memory, but is poor advice for a server with 8GB memory.

If you Google what PSS engineers are saying recently about page file size, you will see thay say it is safe to set it to a smaler value. Many 32-bit servers operate with a page file size of 200MB, to allow a snap dump to complete. Many large 64-bit servers are totally stable with no page file.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• EdVassie (3/19/2009)

Please talk to your Windows support people before changing the Windows page file size. If you move away from your site standards you will not get any thanks.

Many people still use the very out of date advice that the page file size should be 1.5 times the physical memory. This was good(ish) advice when a big server had 2GB memory, but is poor advice for a server with 8GB memory.

If you Google what PSS engineers are saying recently about page file size, you will see thay say it is safe to set it to a smaler value. Many 32-bit servers operate with a page file size of 200MB, to allow a snap dump to complete. Many large 64-bit servers are totally stable with no page file.

can u give me the articles supporting ur statement...

Regards,
    [font="Verdana"]Sqlfrenzy[/font]

• I also read one day about recommendation that PF is 1.5 P.memory.

but i send to you to understand something, more PF this mean more HDD usage, so if your HDD is not fast enough, for sure you will have HDD bottleneck in that situation.

in some environment, PF was very small,and this for avoiding HDD I/O,

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply