High Memory is 70% & growing Fast

• Fist you have to check fragmentation level, cap memory, add lock pages in memory, and last one is if you are using SQL Enterprise Edition , you can enable resource governor .

i sure that it will help you .

• kshaileshbca (3/15/2014)

Fist you have to check fragmentation level

What's that got to do with memory?

add lock pages in memory

Um, no. That's not going to reduce memory usage, do you know what it actually does?

last one is if you are using SQL Enterprise Edition , you can enable resource governor .

To do what exactly? Just enable, no setting up groups and pools or any configuration at all?

i sure that it will help you .

Not.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • HI All,

Today my physical memory reached to 80% in my database server.

Please suggest what to do to reduce it now...

Thanks

Praneeth

• Have you considered the advice of most people here in that you don't need to worry?!

• I would suggest;

Get a coffee. Coffee's good.

Do your daily routine checks just in case there's actually something wrong. Rather than SQL Server doing exactly what it's supposed to do.

Drink coffee.

Read http://www.sqlskills.com/help/accidental-dba/?utm_source=accidentaldba&utm_medium=blogs&utm_campaign=training

Lots of interesting and important to know stuff in there. You may actually even, as a result of going through this, find stuff you actually need to worry about.

HTH

EDIT - reply to wrong post. Argh, who's this clown to give advice, eh?

I'm a DBA.
    I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.

• HI,

Its going high from 52% to 65,70,72 & today 80%...

tomorrow it may reach 90 & finally 100%...

• praneethydba (3/18/2014)

HI,

Its going high from 52% to 65,70,72 & today 80%...

tomorrow it may reach 90 & finally 100%...

You are truly not grasping this. Just because 100% of the memory is being used does not mean you have a problem. It just means that SQL Server is using the allocation of memory that you have said it is allowed to use. The LRU algorythm will take care of the rest....

• praneethydba (3/18/2014)

HI All,

Today my physical memory reached to 80% in my database server.

Please suggest what to do to reduce it now...

Nothing. Same as I suggested last time, and the time before. Why are you worrying about normal, expected, desired behaviour?

If you want to reduce SQL's memory usage, set max server memory to some stupidly low value, then SQL will use very little memory. It'll perform terribly as a result of course, but since you seem to want lots of rather expensive memory going completely to waste, that'll do what you want.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• HI All,

After a long time.

Now my Database server physical memory reached to 90%...

Client is sitting next to me and asking for reasons...

I tried all the possible ways to see what exactly the sql is utilizing...

Please throw some thoughts for my problem...

Thanks

Praveen

• praneethydba (4/8/2014)

Client is sitting next to me and asking for reasons...

Tell him that SQL is designed to use all the memory it is allocated and that using 90% of the memory is a good thing.

You don't have a problem (except for a client that appears to refuse to believe you). you are seeing normal, expected, intended behaviour.

It's like saying, "My car goes fast when I press the accelerator, what's wrong?"

Now, we've repeatedly mentioned max server memory, and a chapter in a book all about memory, so by now you should be in a good position to know exactly what (not) to do in this situation.

Gail Shaw

• Have you tried showing your client this Forum thread?!

Regards

Lempster

• check the processes running in sys processses and the same using 'input buffer' and verify whether the query being run is fully optimized for eg indexes are missing and '*' in the queries instead of the column name.

Verify the processor affinity and IO affinity being used. I have came across the same situation and did the mentioned things to get rid of it.

Hope it solves your problem...

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

• sashif0 (4/8/2014)

Verify the processor affinity and IO affinity being used.

They should be at the defaults. They're also unrelated to memory usage.

Gail Shaw

• Hi Newbie,

We are doing statistics updates on regular basis and Affinity is taken care by SQL server internally i guess.

when I execute sysprocess it is showing all the running id's with memory usage.

I have already mentioned I kept cap on sql server around 24GB i.e. 80% to sql server and remaining 20% to OS(total RAM is 32 GB)...

• HI,

My Page life Expectancy value is 80..

is there any memory leakage....

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply