Hidden or Unknown Job Perks

• dbowlin (9/3/2010)

I worked for a company where the owners were very active in PETA. They offered to pay for spay/neuter of any pets.

I work for a cable company now, free internet, free tv & premium channels, discounted phone, discounted cell & discounts with a number of retail outlets and manufacturers.

i heard PETA frown on people working there who aren't vegetarians

• alen teplitsky (9/4/2010)

dbowlin (9/3/2010)

I worked for a company where the owners were very active in PETA. They offered to pay for spay/neuter of any pets.

I work for a cable company now, free internet, free tv & premium channels, discounted phone, discounted cell & discounts with a number of retail outlets and manufacturers.

i heard PETA frown on people working there who aren't vegetarians

So walking in with a hank of beef jerky hanging out of your mouth would be frowned upon? 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (9/4/2010)

So walking in with a hank of beef jerky hanging out of your mouth would be frowned upon? 😛

like pentagram tatoos at an interview to work at CBN[/url].

• Steve Jones - Editor (9/5/2010)

Jeff Moden (9/4/2010)

like pentagram tatoos at an interview to work at CBN[/url].

Now [font="Arial Black"]THAT[/font] would make an interesting discrimination court case. 😉 I can see the judge now... "Didn't you know you weren't supposed to walk into the den of Lions with a pork chop tied around your neck?"

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• since PETA is in DC and there are a lot of nice steakhouses, i wonder how they would react to someone eating a porterhouse medium rare in the office

• I Enjoy "Summer Fridays" and "Flexible Schedule" at the place were i am working now.

• My wife had the best. She worked for a brewery and got a case and 1/2 of beer every two weeks, four pony kegs a year, discount on beer above and beyond the free stuff and free beer in the break room. I miss that job!

Tim

• I have been here a couple years now so I almost take it for granted but:

Free drinks (coffee, tea, cokes,oj, apple juice)

Free lunch (1 day a week hot lunch and the others are sandwiches)

Free snacks (chips, animal crackers, apples, etc)

No sick days of record (If someone is sick they just don't come in, no need for extra paperwork)

• alen teplitsky (9/7/2010)

since PETA is in DC and there are a lot of nice steakhouses, i wonder how they would react to someone eating a porterhouse medium rare in the office

If it's the faux PETA organization where the letters stand for "People for the Eating of Tasty Animals", you would have to share.

• Stejones (10/21/2010)

I have been here a couple years now so I almost take it for granted but:

Free drinks (coffee, tea, cokes,oj, apple juice)

Free lunch (1 day a week hot lunch and the others are sandwiches)

Free snacks (chips, animal crackers, apples, etc)

No sick days of record (If someone is sick they just don't come in, no need for extra paperwork)

we have a work from home option if you're sick not to use up a PTO day

in my case with kids at home all day there is no way i'm working from home

• Trey - you in Arizona? I might have interviewed for your company about a year ago. I interviewed for two companies - one next to the Cold Stone building and one across the parking lot 🙂

• SQLBill (9/2/2010)

Great manager.

Great director.

Work from home three days a week.

25 paid days of time off.

Work laptop to use when working from home.

On call for one week once every two months.

Guaranteed bonus based on my performance and percentage of my pay.

-SQLBill

I'm pretty close here. I work from home a minimum of once per week and often twice. I have a work laptop to use. I'm not on call...ever. I have a bonus program that sounds very similar. My best perk is the flexible schedule. As long as my work is getting done, my daily schedule is very flexible. I usually come in a bit later than most of my peers (9:30 ish) and I work until 5:30 ish and then finish up things after the kids go to bed at night.

We also have free donuts on fridays and a few off-site team outings per year.

John Rowan

======================================================
    ======================================================
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• I gotta say, the best perks I ever had was when I worked for a company that made video games. We closed down between Christmas and New Years (and got paid for it), we had free soda, and once a week, they brought in fresh fruit for everyone. Had a nice bonus plan. And this doesn't even mention the *really* casual dress code and atmosphere and playing of video games in the office! At 3 PM on Fridays, it was time to start the Call Of Duty death matches!

*sigh* I miss that job...

• I have to say that the perks I enjoy are a whole lot less obvious. I'm really starting to dislike working for "publically owned" companies because of all the unnecessary stuff that some people think SOX Section 404 implies for IT. I can't really go into it because of an NDA, but... oh my! I understand the need for safeguards but privately owned companies are so much easier to work for.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (10/27/2010)

I have to say that the perks I enjoy are a whole lot less obvious. I'm really starting to dislike working for "publically owned" companies because of all the unnecessary stuff that some people think SOX Section 404 implies for IT. I can't really go into it because of an NDA, but... oh my! I understand the need for safeguards but privately owned companies are so much easier to work for.

Ya I've been under both SOX and HIPPA separately and together. Sometimes the 2 contradict each other. I totally get what you're saying, I'd go as far as to say compliancy is kind of an anti-perk.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply