Here's a Reason to Document

• Also don't forget the MAIN (imho) issue behind writing your own code to re-invent the wheel: if I have to use some piece of code written by someone else I have two options.

First one is to generally trust the code is well written and will perform as I expect;

Second one is to do not trust anyone and study the code line by line myself... ops! this will take the same time (if not more) to re-wite it from scrap 😎 !

But often is really VERY useful to have a peek at someone else's code to just to get some new ideas fast.

• Solution looking for a problem. Google wins hands down.

• I've never heard of this website and yet it's been going for five years apparently. I find that nearly all my code searching requirements can be met using google (and stackoverflow.com).

• After looking at the current Krugle site, it appears it's not a service that searches the web (like google) for code. It appears to be an enterprise solution for tracking all the code within your company.

Quoting their site, "Krugle Enterprise V4 works with existing development systems to automatically create a comprehensive, searchable development information portal. Krugle uses modern crawl and search technology to collect specifications, project plans, defect tracking records, build records and source code - and organizes this information using the rich metadata captured by these systems."

• I have only had rare cases of finding code on the Internet and using it directly. Mostly due to version incompatibility, but just as often, the code just doesn't compile. Not just minor syntax problems, but keywords that just aren't there.

Krugle could be useful internally since I deal with old code from programmers who have left the company. It could make it easier to find how they dealt with something that I am having to deal with in their code. However, as the title of the editorial indicates, if they didn't document, it still might not help at all.

• Never used (or even heard of) Krugle.

At my Firm, we've had a few methods over the years for documenting our work (Folio Views, anyone? :-)). For those of us who take the time to create documentation using the active method of our choice, the rest of us who are interested in searching it can do so -- no additional methods (Krugle, Google, or any other two-syllable word you care to name) required.

• I don't think that Krugle would find much rich metadata to document many of our solutions sadly, otherwise it might be a good plan!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply