Helping Out

• As a new mom, well my 3rd baby is only 8 weeks old here is what I did.  I hired a "nany" to come into my home, take care of all my children, cook and clean (just the maint floor).  Provide her with a reasonable salary, room and board and hopes that she will be happy to be with us for a couple of years.  she doesn't do much cooking because my husband would wake up at 5:30 AM everyday trying to cook dinner so that when we come home there is at least one course of meal ready.  I guess he loves to cook as well as enjoying good food.

mom

• "A professional game player to give everyone one a break with LAN party or a ping pong game?"

Maybe you should hire a proofreader... 

• I vote for the librarian/technical writer to manage all documentation. A good technical writer could document our changes in half the time it takes our development staff and be more professional looking to boot.

• I know that this is not going to sound very fun but right now it would be a big help at work.  Basically I want an auditing czar, somebody who would keep track of all the changes that are being announced on an almost daily basis.  I am sure that a lot of you outside of the US are not familiar with this thing called SOX (Sarbanes-Oxley) but it is a real pain.

My companies IT management has decided that IT developers and administrators are just waiting to do something to screw up the company books.  Therefore they have developed a number of truly draconian measures to make sure no one person can change anything on the servers, applications, databases, user permissions, etc.

If the one person I hired could do all the daily auditing checks and implement all the auditing changes mandated by management then I and the rest of my group could actually concentrate on projects that will help the company make more money.  That one person could also maintain contact with our internal and external auditors to determine what new "items" of concern they are going to investigate next.  They could also make sure that all the reports are reviewed and signed on time.

• I've thought about this question, but more from the opposite end.  Who would I not want.  Unfortunately, I have more experience with that.

For example, two years ago we were very busy writing our second major ASP.NET application, using Visual Studio .NET 2003.  We were under a deadline and were desparate to get the job done.  I was leading the team locally (at our off-site shop), but was not ultimately the project manager.  Our customer decided that it would be a good idea to bring someone else on-board and asked both myself and my manager at the main office, who we would recommend.  I found a contractor in the area who was both without work at the time, and had lots of experience with VS .NET 2003, SQL Server 2000, VB.NET (which is what we were using for the code-behind coding) and ASP.NET.  However, my manager was apparently afraid of the parent organization not appearing to be competent enough to do the job, so she choose another member of her team to help us.  What was this other guy's experience?  He knew Microsoft Access's VBA language, and that was all.  Her comment to me was, "VBA is the same as VB.NET; after all they are both Visual Basic."  I kid you not, that was her response.

Well, there we were, stuck with this fellow.  (Let me say that he was a nice fellow, I liked him as an individual, but he was not the asset that we needed.)  I had to try and teach him VB.NET, ASP.NET and SQL Server.  The project wound up being delivered months after the deadline, and the page that this fellow worked on was not done using the programming standards that we had established.    I was very disappointed, and learned that the wrong person for the job can really set you back.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• Well... Would I like to have THAT option !    My normal schedule is in my office in one section of my house, however, this year I am in the field a lot.  Therefore, definitely a  chauffer.   My wife is a part of the business and handles all of the other items without which I do not think I would have ANY chance of being in business.   However a chauffer, for me, would immediately pay for himself.  I would get a good office setup in the back seat, beef up the laptop as needed to full desktop capabilities, or even install dual monitors in the back of the seats!   100% Of my travel time would be billable.  Hmmm as a matter of fact, I may look into this.  I was joking, but as long as I am completely booked, it really would pay.  The driver would simply have to be paid equal to or less than my hourly rate for the total drive time.   Hey, I may do this immedidately.  Hey, "Geeves"  pull her around, we're heading out !

• My wife is a personal chef.  She goes to her clients homes and cooks a weeks worth of meals and leaves them in the fridge with detailed re-heating instructions.  I'm talking resteraunt quality, gourmet meals.  Unfortunately for you, we live in Southern California, but I know there are personal chefs in your area.  It's not cheap, but how much is your time woth?

• Definitely it would be a NutritionalPlanner\Chef.  I tend to grab prepared food because I am always short on time and don't always eat the way I want to and prefer because it takes so much time to plan, shop and prepare.

• One of our weakness in our family is/was we can't find a good restaurant to eat.  We ened up cooking for ourselves every day.  We also don't enjoy food taking out of a freezer either.  We only go to restaurant for lunch once in a while so that we could meet with co-worker and friends during lunch on weekday.

mom

• I don't need help.  I want to marry someone who is rich so I don't have to work.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply