Help with the sql

• I want to take off the repeating DISPLAY_NAME 's, i only want the distinct one's. Someone please help me change the sql above. Thank you.

select

distinct b.display_name

, (b.STREET_ADDRESS_LINE || ' '|| b.CITY_NAME || ' '|| b.ZIP_PLUS4)

, b.ACCOUNT from dsiproc.trb_vw_subs_info b

right join

(

select distinct display_name, (STREET_ADDRESS_LINE || ' '|| CITY_NAME || ' '|| ZIP_PLUS4) addr from dsiproc.trb_vw_subs_info

where (STREET_ADDRESS_LINE || ' '|| CITY_NAME || ' '|| ZIP_PLUS4) in

(

select (STREET_ADDRESS_LINE || ' '|| CITY_NAME || ' '|| ZIP_PLUS4) from dsiproc.trb_vw_subs_info

group by (STREET_ADDRESS_LINE || ' '|| CITY_NAME || ' '|| ZIP_PLUS4)

having count(STREET_ADDRESS_LINE || ' '|| CITY_NAME || ' '|| ZIP_PLUS4) >1

)

group by display_name, (STREET_ADDRESS_LINE || ' '|| CITY_NAME || ' '|| ZIP_PLUS4)

) z

on (b.STREET_ADDRESS_LINE || ' '|| b.CITY_NAME || ' '|| b.ZIP_PLUS4) = z.addr

order by (b.STREET_ADDRESS_LINE || ' '|| b.CITY_NAME || ' '|| b.ZIP_PLUS4)

• You have distinct, but that applies to the entire row, not just the display name. The account differences are resulting in the extra rows. If you removed a row, how should the server decide which account is shown?

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (2/1/2011)

You have distinct, but that applies to the entire row, not just the display name. The account differences are resulting in the extra rows. If you removed a row, how should the server decide which account is shown?

Thank you now i understand. My code is actually right.

• varunkum (2/2/2011)

Thank you now i understand. My code is actually right.

Indeed but, report may be showing there is a procedural issue in some place in the organization - business has to figure it out why people has more than one account, may be that's the way it is supposed to be but only business can tell. 🙂

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Nice stuff, thanks for sharing!!..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply