Help with batch updateing

• Hi,

I have the following update script:

My parameter is category from a web client.

SELECT l.budgetaccountnumber,s.ap1,s.ap2,s.ap3,s.ap4,s.ap5,s.ap6,s.ap7,s.ap8,s.ap9,s.ap10,s.ap11,s.ap12

FROM source_budgetaccounts_categories AS l LEFT JOIN category_deptbudgets_v s

ON l.budgetaccountnumber = s.budgetaccount

WHERE s.categoryname = 'AMKT'

SELECT l.budgetaccountnumber,s.ap1,s.ap2,s.ap3,s.ap4,s.ap5,s.ap6,s.ap7,s.ap8,s.ap9,s.ap10,s.ap11,s.ap12

FROM source_budgetaccounts_categories AS l LEFT JOIN category_deptbudgets_v s

ON l.budgetaccountnumber = s.budgetaccount

WHERE s.categoryname = 'Finance & IT'

The issue, I have a master table that contains all accounts and the data values are posted to this table.  Sometimes certain categories do not have the same accounts but in the report all accounts need to be displayed.  How can I zero out the accounts that do not exist for a given category in batch update mode.  I can't think of an efficient method.

Thanks,

• First: I have the following update script:

No you don't. Both of those scripts are SELECT statements and don't update anything.

Second: Are you really trying to UPDATE something?

Third: Provide us with your tables and sample data. Then, based on the sample data, show us what you want as a result.

-SQLBill

• Right,

At the time I posted this I had been going back and forth between SQL Server and a .NET build I was trying to get out to production.  I did not provide enough information.  After stepping back and going back to my previous posts I realized that my question had already been answered.  This is the answer that was posted to me by Nathanael Mann.  This was the answer

update Lookup set

[values] = 0

from

(

select l.acct, s.[values]

from

Lookup as l

left

join source as s

on

l.acct = s.acct

where

s.acct is null) as s

where

s.acct = Lookup.acct

Thanks,

• update L

set [values] = 0

from Lookup as L

left join source as s on l.acct = s.acct

where s.acct is null

AND (L.[values] <> OR L.[values] IS NULL)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply