help with a trace

• i need help with setting up a trace. I am haveing a problem with someone changing stored procs in a database i maintain. i want to set up a trace to let me know when someone changes a stored proc.

can anyone point me in the right direction please.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]Being "normal" is not necessarily a virtue; it rather denotes a lack of courage.
    -Practical Magic[/font]

• If you are using SQL 2005 (I assume you are) you can look at DDL Triggers.

CREATE TRIGGER AuditProc

ON DATABASE

FOR CREATE_PROC, ALTER_PROC, DROP_PROC, CREATE_TABLE, ALTER_TABLE, DROP_TABLE

AS

DECLARE @event XML

SET @event = EVENTDATA()

INSERT INTO AuditTable (ChangeTime, , ObjectDesc, LoginID)

VALUES

(

GetDate(),

@event.value('(/EVENT_INSTANCE/ObjectName)[1]', 'varchar(256)'),

@event.value('(/EVENT_INSTANCE/LoginName)[1]', 'varchar(256)')

)

Hope this helps

-Roy

• yes i am useing 2005

is there prep work for this to work?

also i got these 2 error msgs

Msg 1084, Level 15, State 1, Procedure AuditProc, Line 3

'CREATE_PROC' is an invalid event type.

Msg 102, Level 15, State 1, Procedure AuditProc, Line 9

Incorrect syntax near ','.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]Being "normal" is not necessarily a virtue; it rather denotes a lack of courage.
    -Practical Magic[/font]

• On SQL Server 2005 you could query the default trace which audits object altered, created, deleted with a query like this:

SELECT

TE.[name] AS event_name,

I.NTUserName,

I.loginname,

I.SessionLoginName,

I.databasename,

I.StartTime,

I.StartTime,

I.ObjectID,

OBJECT_NAME(I.ObjectID) AS NAME,

I.ObjectName,

I.ObjectType,

S.principal_id,

S.sid,

S.type_desc,

S.name

FROM

sys.traces T CROSS Apply

:: fn_trace_gettable(CASE WHEN CHARINDEX('_', T.[path]) <> 0

THEN SUBSTRING(T.PATH, 1,

CHARINDEX('_', T.[path]) - 1) +

'.trc'

ELSE T.[path]

End, T.max_files) I JOIN

sys.trace_events AS TE ON I.EventClass = TE.trace_event_id LEFT JOIN

sys.server_principals S

ON CONVERT(VARBINARY(MAX), I.loginsid) = S.sid

WHERE

T.id = 1 And

I.DatabaseName = '[your db name]' AND

-- you can use the event

TE.[name] = 'Object:Altered'

-- or you could use this if you are only worried about one object

--I.Object_Name = '[your object name]'

Since the default trace is running you do not have to have the overhead of the DDL trigger. Just remember that the default trace keeps up to 5 20MB files and that restarts cause a new file to be created so if you have a very busy server you may not have data that far back.

• Sorry , My bad. It is Create_procedure. You can see more detail in BOL.

-Roy

• Is this a production database they are making changes in? If it is you should setup a dev system that they make changes in and then do not give them alter procedure rights in the production system so you have to approve code and migrate it to production.

If you want notifications you can do the DDL triggers or you could do a job that queries the default trace on a regular basis which sends you an email when a procedure is altered.

• no it's not a production system (heads would really be rolling if it was) this is the dev/testing server.

i think (but can't prove yet) that the testers are (for some strange reason) grabbing older versions of stored procs from our version control and executing them there for over writeing the current stored proc. I am trying to track down whom this is.

i'll look into the creating a job idea...

-Practical Magic[/font]

• Jack I get an error when trying to test the code snippet you pasted...

Msg 156, Level 15, State 1, Line 19

Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'CASE'.

I must be blind, because I'm not sure what he error is...did the forum softwar rip out a parenthesis or something?

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Runs fine against my server. Try replacing the "::" with "sys." as I recall having recently read where the "::" syntax is being deprecated.

I have seen odd errors like this when using fn_trace_gettable at times. You could just query sys.traces for the path to the default trace and hard code it in. Then you can remove the reference to sys.traces totally from the query. You just need to make sure you remove the "_nn" part of the path if you want to query all the trace files created by the default trace.

• works for me, double check what you copied and pasted

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• my fault... i was running the query in a database that was Compatibility level 80....duh!

Lowell (2/18/2009)

Jack I get an error when trying to test the code snippet you pasted...

Msg 156, Level 15, State 1, Line 19

Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'CASE'.

I must be blind, because I'm not sure what he error is...did the forum softwar rip out a parenthesis or something?

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Jack

did you mean to specify column I.StartTime twice?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Perry Whittle (2/18/2009)

Jack

did you mean to specify column I.StartTime twice?

Nope. I copied most of the code from a script I use for another purpose that uses Max and Min StartTime.

• Jack

If you want notifications you can do the DDL triggers or you could do a job that queries the default trace on a regular basis which sends you an email when a procedure is altered.

This is interesting, how could you do this.

thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply