Help? Upgrade from SQL Server 2000 to 2005 failed . . .

• how did you get on?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" πŸ˜‰

• (1) Still not sure that SS2005 was installed sucessfully during the upgrade process.

(2) When I go into the SQL Server 2005 Surface Area Configuration, for example, the database engine is not there.

(3) All that's there is: Analysis Services, Integration Services, and SQL Server Browser.

• When I connect to any of the 4 instances via SSMS . . . the @@version comes back as:

Microsoft SQL Server 2000 - 8.00.2039 (Intel X86) May 3 2005 23:18:38 Copyright (c) 1988-2003 Microsoft Corporation Developer Edition on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 2)

• malcolmwatt (1/18/2009)

When I connect to any of the 4 instances via SSMS . . . the @@version comes back as:

Microsoft SQL Server 2000 - 8.00.2039 (Intel X86) May 3 2005 23:18:38 Copyright (c) 1988-2003 Microsoft Corporation Developer Edition on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 2)

please provide more details on the current sql instances installed (2 we know are sql MSDE) and the version sql2005 you are applying πŸ˜‰

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Hi Perry . . .

(1) We backed out the upgrade we tried over the weekend . . . and will try again next weekend.

(2) Right now, we're assuming that the 2005 database engine wasn't installed (only the 2005 tools were installed) . . . because we only have SP2 on the 2000 instance we want to upgrade.

(3) A more careful look at the upgrade documentation tells us that minimum of 2000 SP3 is required to do the 2005 upgrade.

(4) So . . . we are planning to apply 2000 SP4 . . . and then try the 2005 upgrade again.

(5) No use complaining, I guess, that neither the 2005 Upgrade Advisor nor the 2005 Upgrade itself . . . bothered to check and tell us that we needed SP3. Would have saved us 12 hours of work.

(6) Thanks for your help (!)

• Malcolm - assuming I understand your current setup - that's not a supported upgrade path. According to the documentation about MSDE 2000 - the only version you can upgrade to using the setup wizards might be SQL Express 2005 or SQL Workgroup 2005.

The path for you right now seems to be a detach/reattach of the user databases against a "standard" edition of SQL 2005.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Matt, it would seem he has a mixture of sql2000 instances, 2 of the instances are the MSDE which SBS installs. The other 2 seem to be developer edition

• Perry Whittle (1/19/2009)

Matt, it would seem he has a mixture of sql2000 instances, 2 of the instances are the MSDE which SBS installs. The other 2 seem to be developer edition

Having battled with SBS stuff in the past - if it was installed during the main SBS install - LEAVE IT ALONE. don't mess with it, don't try to upgrade it, etc.... unless you have a REALLY good DR plan and won't cry when you end up with a smoldering pile of rubble where your server was. SBS puts in altogether too many backdoor hooks for anything to be "straightforward" in an upgrade setting.

Having said that - in both cases, it sounds like the only supported paths would be a "2-step" upgrade at best. The MSDE needs to be upgrade to SQLExpress, and then EXPRESS to standard; the Developer to the latest developer (and then to a standard edition). Or - you install a new instance, clean in the version you want to end up in , and do the "detach and reattach" for each database involved.

here's the supported pathways:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143393.aspx

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• yeah i already checked with him. He wasnt trying to upgrade the SBS instances just one of the 2 new instances

• Matt Miller (1/19/2009)

Perry Whittle (1/19/2009)

Matt, it would seem he has a mixture of sql2000 instances, 2 of the instances are the MSDE which SBS installs. The other 2 seem to be developer edition

Having battled with SBS stuff in the past - if it was installed during the main SBS install - LEAVE IT ALONE. don't mess with it, don't try to upgrade it, etc.... unless you have a REALLY good DR plan and won't cry when you end up with a smoldering pile of rubble where your server was. SBS puts in altogether too many backdoor hooks for anything to be "straightforward" in an upgrade setting.

Having said that - in both cases, it sounds like the only supported paths would be a "2-step" upgrade at best. The MSDE needs to be upgrade to SQLExpress, and then EXPRESS to standard; the Developer to the latest developer (and then to a standard edition). Or - you install a new instance, clean in the version you want to end up in , and do the "detach and reattach" for each database involved.

here's the supported pathways:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143393.aspx

Matt/Perry . . .

(1) The 2000 instance we're interested in is this one:

(2) Our current intention is to bring that up to SP4 . . . and then use the 2005 upgrade wizard to go to 2005 Developer. And leave the SBS instances alone.

(3) Is that not a reasonable expectation?

• Developer edition to developer edition should do fine.

• Matt Miller (1/19/2009)

Developer edition to developer edition should do fine.

(LOL) That's good -- because it's the only game plan we have at this point . . .

Thanks much (!)

• that would be the path i would recommend πŸ˜‰

• I noticed in the OP that you only had SQL 2005 Tools installed.

SQL 2005 install media is delivered on 2 CDs, one for server components and one just for the tools. On a DVD there is a \Server and a \Tools folder. If you managed to run the Setup program from the Tools CD of folder, you would end up with just the tools installed. Is this your problem?

Even if it is not, doing an in-place upgrade from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005 is a risky business. I have tried this on two supposedly identical servers and had one succeed and one fail leaving SQL totally unuseable. If you Google this issue you will find a mumber of others have had the same problem.

Your planning needs to assume that some in-place upgrades will fail and that SQL will need to be uninstalled as part of the recovery action. My recommendation is to always uninstall SQL 2000 before installing SQL 2005.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop HΓ©lder CΓ’mara

• EdVassie (1/21/2009)

. . . doing an in-place upgrade from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005 is a risky business. I have tried this on two supposedly identical servers and had one succeed and one fail leaving SQL totally unuseable. If you Google this issue you will find a mumber of others have had the same problem.

Your planning needs to assume that some in-place upgrades will fail and that SQL will need to be uninstalled as part of the recovery action. My recommendation is to always uninstall SQL 2000 before installing SQL 2005.

Hello Ed . . .

(1) We've been re-thinking how we might do this.

(2) We're backing up the user database and the system databases.

(3) If we were to then uninstall all of 2000 and install a default instance of 2005 . .. how simple & foolproof is it going to be to get the databases into 2005?

(4) I see a lot of advice that the "restore" method won't work for the system databases -- is that absolutely true?

(5) If we use the "attach" method . . . that's with the corresponding files and not the backup -- right? So would we want to backup those files manually?

(6) This "attach" method seems tricky for the system databases.

(7) What do you think?

(8) Of course, we were trying to avoid all of this with the upgrade-in-place . . .

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply