HELP: SQL will not start

• Hi everyone, SQL Server crashed unexpectedly and now the service does not start, even after a reboot. What do I do?

• What does the windows log say?

• I see this in system logs, but nothing in app logs. Is it telling me that I should reinstall sql server?

Application popup: SQL Server : SQL Server could not find the default instance (MSSQLSERVER) - please specify the name of an existing instance on the invocation of sqlservr.exe.

If you believe that your installation is corrupt or has been tampered with, uninstall then re-run setup to correct this problem.

• Are all the services started?

I've never seen that error. But it looks like you might have some corrupted dlls from the hard shutdown. Maybe you'll have to reinstall but I'm no expert on that matter.

• Thank you.

The mssqlserver service had stopped and sqlagent service has disappeared. All this happened before the reboot. I was installing Office 2K at the time. I am not sure what else was going on, but I doubt anything of interest was going on.

• Were you able to restart them?

Can you restore to an earlier point of windows (just b4 the install).

If not I'm afraid you'll have to rebuild the server.

• I am afraid that I may have to rebuild.

Is it possible to get the msdb database FILE from a backup of 2 weeks ago and apply that file to the new database?

• Yes... but I think you can simple copy your current db files and reattach them on the new server... don't know if it's doable with the system dbs but it's worth a try (just rename the old ones in case it fails ).

• Got you, thank you! I'll try that approach and let you know what happens.

Then I'll jump off the cliff...I rebuilt this server this past Saturday and I think my nerves are shut!

• Crap.. that was a short lifetime. I'm pretty sure that the swap can be done but I never tried it so I can't be sure. However I do know that you can restore the system tables from backups so a swap really doesn't seem impossible.

• Hey, that worked! I basically made a backup of the database FILES. Then reinstalled sql server and restored the database files (including the system database files) and started the sql server service. Everything seems to be back to normal. Thanks for your help.

• Glad to know it worked... now I just hope I don't have to use this trick myself and that this server lives for more than 48 hours .

• I am also facing the issue:

I tried to change my SQL Server 2000 server startup account to service id, But while change i am getting below error:

Event Type:Information

Event Source:Application Popup

Event Category:None

Event ID:26

Date:9/12/2009

Time:11:46:43 PM

User:N/A

Computer:JNBCMESA010UAT

Description:

Application popup: SQL Server : SQL Server could not find the default instance (MSSQLSERVER) - please specify the name of an existing instance on the invocation of sqlservr.exe.

If you believe that your installation is corrupt or has been tampered with, uninstall then re-run setup to correct this problem.

But it is running fine under localsystem

Anybody can help me.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply