Help! Query Analyser not working!!!

• Hello, I'm having a problem with Query Analyser. I'm running a query that should return 289 rows. For example, executing select count(*) from postcode where left(postcode, 4)='CT31'  returns 289.

However, when I execute select * from postcode where left(postcode, 4)='CT31'   I would expect all 289 rows to be returned. But what I get is the first 249 rows, then the error

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]ConnectionRead (WrapperRead()).

Server: Msg 11, Level 16, State 1, Line 0

General network error. Check your network documentation.

Connection Broken

This happens every time I try to execute the query.

But when I execute the same query (connecting to the same server) from another workstation, it works fine. I checked the Connection Properties and Client Network Utility settings on both workstation, and both are identical.

I've rebooted my workstation, but the problem remains.

What the *"£$*"£ is going on?!??!?!

• You have encountered a bug in SQL Server or in MDAC, possibly this one:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;299575

Update SQL Server to the latest service pack, update to MDAC 2.6 SP2 or later. If this still happens, you could try to upgrade to a SQL Server hotfix, for example this one:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=838166

If this still happens, you should look in the SQL Server error log to find more detailed informations about the stack dump when the exception happened. This may help you to find out if the bug is fixed, by searching the KB-s at Microsoft.

If you don't find any downloadable fix on the internet, I think that you should call Microsoft Product Support.

Razvan

PS. Theoretically, this could also happen if the database is corrupted (due to hardware malfunctions, for example). Try a DBCC CHECKDB or some other similar commands before calling MS.

• I don't think Article 299575 applies in this case because I don't see any EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION messages in the SQL Log, and I am not performing an ANSI join between a table and a subquery. Also, this problem was corrected in SQL 200 sp1, and my server is running sp3a.

On my workstation where the problem occurs, I am running XP Professional, with Data Access version 2.80.1022.3.  On my workstation I have installed SQL Server 2000 Client Utilities and installed SP3a (Query Analyser Help About reports Version SQL 8.00.760)

Article 838166 is to do with BizTalk, something we don't use.

I will uninstall ADO 2.8 from my workstation and install version 2.71.9040.2 - this is the version installed on the second workstation where the query executes OK.

• I mentioned the article 838166 because you can download from there a hotfix for SQL Server 2000 version 8.00.878 (this hotfix is later than SP3, which is 8.00.760).

You cannot uninstall MDAC; if you have MDAC 2.8 installed you can only re-install it, and maybe re-install the MS04-003 security patch (it will also come with Windows Update, anyway).

Are you sure that you don't have any severe errors in the SQL Server log ? Usually, when you get the "Connection broken" message, there is also an exception violation...

Razvan

• This probably doesn't address your connection problem, but your query should be:

select count(*) from postcode where postcode LIKE 'CT31%' 

Also, check this out:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q229/5/64.asp&NoWebContent=1

• I've got the same error trying to connect to a sql server external from my network.

Unable to connect to server

Server: MSG 11, Level 16, State 1

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]General network error.

Check your network documentation

The difference is that I'm getting it at the beginning when I try to connect to the

server with Query Analyser.

It looks like client side, becuase I can connect from other workstations

from the same location.

I've checked the mdac and client network utility and everything is the same.

The one thing that bugs me is that if I change the ip address of the workstation the problem goes away.

Philip

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply