HELP ON STORED PROCEDURE

•  Hi i want to sort  CalcAction field in the table ? how can i do that ?

Total record count

Record Count of Unique Claims

Record Count by Status

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CREATE procedure GE_Claim_Record_Counts

@Month_of_file_filter datetime

AS

if not exists (select * from dbo.sysobjects where id = object_id(N'[dbo].[ClaimCounts]') and OBJECTPROPERTY(id, N'IsUserTable') = 1)

begin

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[ClaimCounts] (

[Month_of_file] [datetime] NULL ,

[CalcAction] [varchar] (100) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL ,

[TableValue] [varchar] (50) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL ,

[CalculatedValue] [int] NULL

) ON [PRIMARY]

end

INSERT INTO ClaimCounts (Month_of_file, CalcAction, TableValue, CalculatedValue)

SELECT @Month_of_file_filter as Month_of_file, 'Total Record Count' as CalcAction, SPACE(1) as TableValue, COUNT(*) as CalculatedValue

FROM GE_Claim

WHERE Month_of_file = @Month_of_file_filter

INSERT INTO ClaimCounts (Month_of_file, CalcAction, TableValue, CalculatedValue)

SELECT @Month_of_file_filter as Month_of_file, 'Record Count of Unique Claims' as CalcAction, SPACE(1) as TableValue, COUNT(DISTINCT PolicyNumber) as CalculatedValue

FROM GE_Claim

SELECT @Month_of_file_filter as Month_of_file, 'Record Count by Status' as CalcAction, Status as TableValue, COUNT(*) as CalculatedValue

FROM GE_Claim

GROUP BY Status

GO

• No idea of what you want to do.  Can you post the sample result you need from the selects in the inserts?

• wht i do after i execute this proc i get a table which i link to access and generate a  report in excel.The format OF REPORT  is as below. IWANT TO SORT CalcAction field IN THE SORT ORDER BELOW LIKE THIS

Total record count

Record Count of Unique Claims

Record Count by Status

EXCEL REPORT WHICH I GET

CalcActionTableValue12/1/20041/1/20052/1/2005
    Total Record Count 2096300023569121328604306210
    Record Count by Status   2304
    Record Count of Unique Claims1132160287680287680
  • I am not the expert on this one so I'll let others handle your request.  You can also search this site for pivot queries.

• because you are not really sorting the results, but placing the results in a specific order, you have to do something like this:

SELECT * FROM ClaimCounts

ORDER BY CASE

WHEN CalcAction='Total Record Count' THEN 1

WHEN  CalcAction='Total Record Count by Status ' THEN 2

WHEN  CalcAction=Record Count of Unique Claims' THEN 3

Else 4 END 

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• i need to sort the order in my store procedure for this field

• You can't sort the data in the table because tables have no order (this is the base idea of databases)... you can only sort the data in the selects and you can only do that by using an order by!

• the procedure you posted, procedure GE_Claim_Record_Counts, does not do any selects, therefor the data cannot be sorted.

do you mean when you do SELECT * FROM ClaimCounts, with NO ORDER BY statement, you want it in that order? if that is true, then you should know it cannot be done.

a relational database does not store the data in a specific order like an excel spreadhseet does. there is NO first row, second row, etc.

if you need the data in a specific order, you need to use the ORDER BY Clause.

data is kept in a specific order because of the primary key; the primary key sorts the data in order so that data can be searched via an index quickly.

In your case, if you changed the primary key to be the CalcAction column, it would sort it by the text description of the column, and not in the special order you wanted.

You should always use an ORDER BY Clause to get your data. it's good practice and resolves issues like this for you

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply