Help....NET and SQL server suggestions

• Hello,

I'm new to SQL server 2000 (some Oracle 7 & 8i experience and major UNIX geek). I have a MS2K & SQL server sandbox to play with so I can get up to speed and create database and front-end app to the database, which I've never done. I"ve been here 4 weeks.

I"ve been asked now to move an existing database (on another lcal server) created by the previous person in something called .NET. & XML on SQL server over to my 'sandbox' and use those objects for the new database. The previous person isn't here because they didn't do a good job with the existing .Net app., which by the way is in use by several depts. so the cllient side structure has been established.

From what I've seen of the existing client side of the application, it's a mess (disjointed) and the tab and forms appear to be all over the place....I wanted to start fresh, but mgmt says no use what's there (due to time constraints) So I"ll be using the BCP application to copy over the datafiles and log.

ANY HELPFUL SUGGESTIONS in order to avoid 'newbie' pitfalls would be much appreciated.

thanks to all

• Sounds like you have a challenge!

I'm not sure what you actual question is. Possibly,how to set up the database. You mentioned using BCP which you may be comfortable with since you are a UNIX geek. Or you can just restore a backup of the production database to your new sandbox server.

I assume that you want to get the existing app running in your dev environment first.  Security might be one pitfall especially if the app is using SQL security (as opposed to Windows integrated security). If you set up the same user accounts and restore the database, you will have to use the sp_change_users_login command to synchronize the accounts.

You might want to search this site for some "best practices" articles concerning security and performance. My pet peeve about books and many samples is that they usually show using the sa account with a blank password in the connection string. Three words: don't do it.  Set up database roles with appropriate permissions and assign user accounts to the roles. Never use sa.  

Aunt Kathi Data Platform MVP
    Author of Expert T-SQL Window Functions
    Simple-Talk Editor

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply