Help Needed ???

• espilman (6/30/2009)

All I was saying is that I wasn't sure whether the integrity of the columns needed to be intact.

That's exactly the reason why I want to know what the business reason behind this is. It does, in fact, destroy columnar integrity.... well, on a normal table it would. I'm not so sure that this is a properly formed table unless someone is trying to do something like sort lottery numbers just to make it easier to see if you're ticket won. 🙂

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (6/30/2009)

espilman (6/30/2009)

All I was saying is that I wasn't sure whether the integrity of the columns needed to be intact.

That's exactly the reason why I want to know what the business reason behind this is. It does, in fact, destroy columnar integrity.... well, on a normal table it would. I'm not so sure that this is a properly formed table unless someone is trying to do something like sort lottery numbers just to make it easier to see if you're ticket won. 🙂

That's the reaction I had (i.e. normalization problem). I somehow doubt you will get your answer, but you're probably not too far off in your guess.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Matt Miller (6/30/2009)

Jeff Moden (6/30/2009)

espilman (6/30/2009)

That's the reaction I had (i.e. normalization problem). I somehow doubt you will get your answer, but you're probably not too far off in your guess.

You know, you'd think I'd learn... never give an answer until they tell you what you want to know because they just take the answer and run, never to be seen again... until they have another problem where they won't answer a simple question. If I black-listed everyone that has done that to (just) me, a lot of folks on SSC would never get another answer. 😉

Heh... apparently forums and plumbing have a lot in common because right now, the word "check-valve" comes to mind. :hehe:

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply