Help merging NOTES (text) field

• Hi Guys,

I've been having trouble merging NOTES in the one table depending on the contents of another table

The Contsupp table contains a NOTES column and a RECID column

The CodedUp table contains RECID and TAGRECID column

CodedUp.Recid = Contsupp.Recid

CodedUp.TagRecid indicates the master Contsupp.Recid field the Notes are to be merged into

I would like to merge the Contsupp.Notes fields depending on TagRecid Field in Codedup

In my example below, The results should look like this:

NOTESRecid

1MULTILINE NOTES1

2MULTILINE NOTES

3MULTILINE NOTES3

4MULTILINE NOTES

5MULTILINE NOTES

6MULTILINE NOTES6

7MULTILINE NOTES

Scripts to generate test data

CREATE TABLE #CONTSUPP

(NOTES TEXT,

RECID VARCHAR(15))

CREATE TABLE #CODEDUP

(RECID VARCHAR(15) NOT NULL,

TAGRECID VARCHAR(15) NOT NULL)

INSERT INTO #CONTSUPP

SELECT '1MULTILINE NOTES', '1' UNION ALL

SELECT '2MULTILINE NOTES', '2' UNION ALL

SELECT '3MULTILINE NOTES', '3' UNION ALL

SELECT '4MULTILINE NOTES', '4' UNION ALL

SELECT '5MULTILINE NOTES', '5' UNION ALL

SELECT '6MULTILINE NOTES', '6' UNION ALL

SELECT '7MULTILINE NOTES', '7'

INSERT INTO #CODEDUP

SELECT '1', '1' UNION ALL

SELECT '2', '1' UNION ALL

SELECT '3', '3' UNION ALL

SELECT '4', '3' UNION ALL

SELECT '5', '3' UNION ALL

SELECT '6', '6' UNION ALL

SELECT '7', '6'

The closest I've come so far is the script below, Im more than happy for suggestions on better ways to merge the notes though.

DECLARE @col NVARCHAR(MAX);

SELECT @col= COALESCE(@col, '') + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + CONVERT(NVARCHAR, NOTES)

FROM #CONTSUPP where RECID IN (

Select RECID from #CODEDUP WHERE TAGRECID = '1'

)

SELECT @col;

Thanks for your help

• First is there a reason you are using TEXT? Why not VARCHAR(MAX)? From BOL

ntext, text, and image data types will be removed in a future version of Microsoft SQL Server. Avoid using these data types in new development work, and plan to modify applications that currently use them. Use nvarchar(max), varchar(max), and varbinary(max) instead.

To merge a to a TEXT column you need different commands as it is not a character string. Look into UPDATETEXT, TEXTPTR, and WRITETEXT for a start.

• djj (12/9/2014)

First is there a reason you are using TEXT? Why not VARCHAR(MAX)? From BOL

ntext, text, and image data types will be removed in a future version of Microsoft SQL Server. Avoid using these data types in new development work, and plan to modify applications that currently use them. Use nvarchar(max), varchar(max), and varbinary(max) instead.

To merge a to a TEXT column you need different commands as it is not a character string. Look into UPDATETEXT, TEXTPTR, and WRITETEXT for a start.

The contsupp table has been around for many years.

Changing it would break other applications.

• Don. (12/9/2014)

djj (12/9/2014)

Do you know it will break any applications or are you just assuming it will? I have changed a number of text columns to varchar(max) in place with legacy systems and there has been pretty much no issues at all. Any conversions or cast would be implicit and the syntax is identical for CRUD operations. Might be worth trying in your test environment.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange (12/9/2014)

Don. (12/9/2014)

djj (12/9/2014)

Do you know it will break any applications or are you just assuming it will? I have changed a number of text columns to varchar(max) in place with legacy systems and there has been pretty much no issues at all. Any conversions or cast would be implicit and the syntax is identical for CRUD operations. Might be worth trying in your test environment.

Any application that uses the "TEXT" functions would break. Having went from TEXT to VARCHAR(MAX), I think it is worth the trouble to convert. Besides by converting now, you will not HAVE to convert in the future.

• Thank you for your suggestions.

Changing the Contsupp table is not an option.

While the following script doesnt work as I would like.

I am able to update the Contsupp.Notes column.

UPDATE CS

Set Notes = (CASE WHEN NOTES IS NULL THEN (Select NOTES FROM CONTSUPP WHERE RECID = CUP.RECID)

ELSE substring(NOTES, 1, DATALENGTH(NOTES)) + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + (Select SUBSTRING(NOTES, 1, DATALENGTH(NOTES)) FROM CONTSUPP WHERE RECID = CUP.RECID)

END)

from CONTSUPP CS

RIGHT JOIN CODEDUP CUP ON CS.RECID = CUP.TAGRECID

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply