Help me shut up a vendor

• Ninja's_RGR'us (10/16/2009)

1 - Do you think the exec plans could be saved into trace? I think I remember someone talking about that in PASS 2007.

Yes, look for the Showplan XML event (under Performance)

4 - Does sys.dm_exec_requests caches the results at all?

No, it shows the currently executing requests only.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks Gail.

I'll have to close this one with we're going to upgrade to 2008 standard as soon as possible since we'll be forced to at some point. I'm sure I can tune the server a bit more, or a lot. But that's not going to change the faith of this server anyways.

All the best.

• Increase the auto growth factor above 1 mb so it doesn't autogrow on every pdf. Get a real version as suggested.

• I agree, 1MB is WAY too small, database growing is a synchronous operation, basically everything has to wait until it is done. So you don't want to have to grow very often Can I sell you on 50MB? I just don't like to use % though.

CEWII

• If the database isn't going to remain tiny throughout it's lifespan, I generally start it at 1 Gig and set the growth to 1 Gig. Sure, that sometimes means I'm wasting some disk space, and it can also mean that growth events take longer (when measured in milliseconds), but it also minimizes file fragmentation and growth events. It's worked well as a general rule of thumb for the last few years.

(I have over a Terabyte of storage on my home computer. I don't view 1 Gig as a significant amount of disk space these days.)

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Actually I love to grow the dbs while in maintenance mode and give it 3 to 12 months space. Since we're ordering a new server, I'll ask for plenty of disk space :-P.

• GSquared (10/20/2009)

(I have over a Terabyte of storage on my home computer. I don't view 1 Gig as a significant amount of disk space these days.)

Isn't that just astonishing? I still can't get over the fact that I can buy a terabyte of external storage for less than $100.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (10/21/2009)

GSquared (10/20/2009)

Isn't that just astonishing? I still can't get over the fact that I can buy a terabyte of external storage for less than $100.

My first computer had 2k of RAM (you could buy a plug-in module that extended that to 16k), and used a tape deck with an audio cable for non-volatile storage.

The first computer I built had 64k of RAM and a 10 Meg hard drive.

I built a dozen computers in the late '90s with 300 Meg HDDs.

My phone has a 4 Gig micro-SD flash card in it, and I can get a 16 Gig one for around $40. The things are about the size of a pencil eraser!

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• How much RAM is on your computer and how much of it is SQL Server using?

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• About 4 GB of RAM on the server, sql server express is maxied out at 1 GB. Last time I checked, there was still 1.5 GB of ram available.

• My first computer had 2k of RAM (you could buy a plug-in module that extended that to 16k), and used a tape deck with an audio cable for non-volatile storage.

Off topic - Sorry can't help myself:

You are starting to show your age (or me my age). 🙂

Sounds like a Commodore VIC 20 to me. 3K RAM for programming, and a cassette tape drive for storage. Circa 1981.

I remember pressing play on the tape drive, eating dinner, and the program was still loading from tape.

I paid $179 for a 16K memory card the size of large cell phone.

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers

• My first computer had 2k of RAM (you could buy a plug-in module that extended that to 16k), and used a tape deck with an audio cable for non-volatile storage.

Off topic - Sorry can't help myself:

You are starting to show your age (or me my age).

Sounds like a Commodore VIC 20 to me. 3K RAM for programming, and a cassette tape drive for storage. Circa 1981.

I remember pressing play on the tape drive, eating dinner, and the program was still loading from tape.

I paid $179 for a 16K memory card the size of large cell phone.

Sounds like a Timex Sinclair 1000 or ZX-81.. I had one of those.. 2K, and you were cool if you had the 16K RAM pack..

CEWII

• Timex-Sinclair 1000

Property of The Thread

• I was excited about my Timex Sinclair too. 🙂 It made 1982 a happy year.

If it fits the spirit of the thread (sorry, I'm a newbie in terms of posting here) I'd like to ask a little more about the app that's using SQL Server Express and yet keeping PDFs in the database even while there are the 1 GB RAM and 4GB size limitations. Is it basically a document management system?

Maybe it's too late to help this time around, but I thought I should mention a product made by a company called Cabinet NG. They offer a document management system and they deploy (as a default) with SQL Server Express and use VB.NET -- but they store the document images on the Windows file system, and the pointers and indices in the SQL Server database. This makes a lot more sense to me, and it seems to work well.

I can also see merit to having the images in a database, but with the Express version that seems to set the client up for potentially outgrowing Express pretty quickly, and many clients don't have the budget to upgrade to the full version.

[In the interest of full disclosure, I have recently signed up to be a VAR for the Cabinet NG software, but whether I did or not, it might be worth a look for folks looking for SQL-based document management systems based on Express. Nice people, too, making thie product. Based out of Huntsville, AL.]

[Please guide me: was it OK to post the above?]

Regards,

Andre Gous
    Founder, CEO, Chief Geek
    Precision Quality Software, Inc.

Divisions include:
    FallonWebSites.com
    NevadaPaperless.com

• Yes, Andre, what you posted seems okay. It's bordering on being a commercial, but I don't think it crosses the line.

If I were building a doc management system, I'd keep the files in the file system and the data in the database and pointers in between. SQL 2008 does that with its filestream datatype. 2005 can do it more manually, but it's the same idea.

Property of The Thread

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply