Help me about GROUP BY

• I have a table with structure:

Inv_Date, Inv_No, Description, Amount

Error when i execute my command:

CREATE TABLE #Trans (Inv_Date SmallDatetime, Inv_No Char(8), Description Varchar(64), Amount Numeric(9))

INSERT INTO #Trans (Inv_Date, Inv_No, Description, Amount) VALUES (GETDATE(), '1', 'The 1', 10)

INSERT INTO #Trans (Inv_Date, Inv_No, Description, Amount) VALUES (GETDATE(), '2', 'The 2', 20)

INSERT INTO #Trans (Inv_Date, Inv_No, Description, Amount) VALUES (GETDATE(), '3', 'The 3', 30)

INSERT INTO #Trans (Inv_Date, Inv_No, Description, Amount) VALUES (GETDATE(), '1', 'The 1', 1)

SELECT Inv_Date, Inv_No, Description, SUM(Amount) FROM #Trans GROUP BY Inv_No

DROP TABLE #Trans

This is message from SQLSERVER

Server: Msg 8120, Level 16, State 1, Line 7

Column '#Trans.Inv_Date' is invalid in the select list because it is not contained in either an aggregate function or the GROUP BY clause.

Server: Msg 8120, Level 16, State 1, Line 7

Column '#Trans.Description' is invalid in the select list because it is not contained in either an aggregate function or the GROUP BY clause.

----

Help me, becouse i don't want add Inv_date and Description in select list

Thanks

• As per your example this will do

SELECT Inv_Date, Inv_No, Description, SUM(Amount)

FROM #Trans

GROUP BY Inv_Date, Inv_No, Description

Inv_Date                  Inv_No Description  Sum  

2005-11-19 13:10:00 1         The 1           11

2005-11-19 13:10:00 2         The 2           20

2005-11-19 13:10:00 3         The 3           30

------------------------------------

If you expect some other results.. Please explain your forum with example.. So that we can help you accordingly..

• Read BOL on "group by"...here's an introduction which forms the basis of all groupings...

"When GROUP BY is specified, either each column in any non-aggregate expression in the select list should be included in the GROUP BY list, or the GROUP BY expression must match exactly the select list expression."

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• Thank you for your replies. I am new in MS SQL, I working with Foxpro. I upgrating my software to MS SQL. That is ok in foxpro. Now I find other way to do it

Thanks

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply