Help in Tuning the Query

• SELECT A.User_Id,A.Pay_Req_Id, substring(E.Cust_ID,11,len(E.Cust_ID)) as CUST_ACID, A.BILL_AMT AS Txn_Amt, E.BRANCH_ID as UST_BANK_ID, B.Payee_Name , B.Payee_id, '1900-01-01 00:00:00.000' AS bill_paid_dt,D.AUTOPAY_AMT AS AUTOPAY_AMT, A.BILL_AMT-D.AUTOPAY_AMT as Diff_Amt FROM PAYMENT_REQUEST A, PAYEE_MASTER B,ASP_MASTER C,CUSTOMER_PAYEE D,BRANCH_CUSTOMER_MASTER E

WHERE A.Payee_id = B.Payee_id

AND A.Pmt_stat = 'A'

AND D.AUTOPAY_FLG='Y'

AND A.BILL_AMT>D.AUTOPAY_AMT

AND ltrim(rtrim(E.acc_typ))+'/'+rtrim(ltrim(E.acc_no)) = ltrim(rtrim(D.autopay_acid))AND E.status_flg = 'N'

AND A.USER_ID=D.USER_ID

AND A.PAYEE_ID=D.PAYEE_ID

AND A.PAYEE_LIST_ID=D.PAYEE_LIST_ID

AND B.PAYEE_ID=D.PAYEE_ID AND A.USER_ID

=E.USER_ID AND (A.User_Id like 'SWB/%') AND C.ASP_ID = 'SWB' AND A.bill_due_date>='Aug 12 2006 12:00AM' AND A.bill_due_date<'Aug 16 2006 12:00AM' and E.BRANCH_ID = '400088039'

• I suspect that your condition

ltrim(rtrim(E.acc_typ))+'/'+rtrim(ltrim(E.acc_no)) = ltrim(rtrim(D.autopay_acid))

could be modified.

If the application that writes into autopay_acid LTRIMed and RTRIMed the data then the query may be able to use any indices on autopay_acid. As it stands the expression is not SARGABLE

• Could you post the structure of the tables, the indexes and the aprox rowcount that we're dealing with here?

How long does the current query take to run?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • This query takes 10 min to find out 1000 records.

Please help me in tuning the query.

• Please post the structure of the tables, the indexes on those tables and the number of rows in the tables.

Also please post the text execution plan. you can get that by running the following

SET Showplan_all on

GO

<query here>

GO

SET SHOWPLAN_ALL OFF

GO

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• It is not possible to post the structure. Please if you have any alternatives of it then please help me.

• I can't help you tune the query if I don't know what the underlying structure is like. Can you at least post the text execution plan and the row counts of the tables?

Gail Shaw

• You don't have to post the structure with the actual names, or the actual data, if it's sensitive. You may change names, and/or make up some data that behaves in the same way as your real stuff.

The most important to 'keep' is the correct datatypes and the 'format' of the data inside.

We can't do much more than guess and speculate without knowing the table structures and a feel for what your data looks like. It doesn't have to be much, just a handful of rows that demonstrates your problem is probably enough.

/Kenneth

• On quickly looking at this, there is no join condition between ASP_MASTER and the other tables. This will produce a cartesian product; not at good idea!

You could probably optimise this query yourself if you formatted it better and used ANSI 92 join syntax.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply