Hardware Scope

• Hi Guys,

I am currently busy with scoping hardware for one of our clients.

I need to cover every piece of hardware available, now I am down to the last - Network Adapters.

Are there any specific best practices for Network Adapters? Any preferred Adapters? I know the NIC is very important thus why I am asking.

Thanks in advance

• I tend to use NICs from the server vendor, as it allows me to use the server vendor's tools for configuring, monitoring and troubleshooting the NICs. If you plan to implement teaming, you may want to take your time to test thoroughly with load over several days, as I've seen some rare cases where the teaming appears to cause some strange behavior, like loss of network connection after a few days of operation. This behavior ceased when teaming was disabled.

As long as you buy new server NICs I don't think the performance is all that different, but I may be proven wrong by someone. But, as always, yoy may want to perform a reality check on the bus speed and the speed "offered" by the NIC. Keep in mind that PCIe v 1.x only has 2.5GT/sec in each direction, which clearly is not enough for a quad port 1Gbps NIC.

Ole Kristian Velstadbråten Bangås - Virinco - Facebook - Twitter

Concatenating Row Values in Transact-SQL[/url]

• Thanks for the reply man 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply