Hardware requirement

• Hi,

I am in the midst of justifying the server boxes required to run RS.May I know how you guys justify the hardware capacity (RAM,CPU+harddisk) required to run your reports? For IIS (Report Server) example.. what will be the recommended requirement to run like 50 reports? Any idea?

Appreciate your advice

• Justification for individual servers comes by functionality in our organization (like most organizations, it takes time and pain to realize this). We know SQL Server database servers need to be dedicated machines. Application servers (RS and IIS fall into this category) need to be dedicated machines as well. We even separate RS and IIS. We also have hardware standards. Our shop uses HP (and IBM E-series which we are phasing out).

A minimal application server for us is (e.g. HP DL-380, IBM E-Series 345):

dual CPU (2.8 Gh Xeon or greater)

4 Gb RAM

dual internal 36/72 Gb 15k disks in RAID I

dual HBA cards for SAN disk

For databse servers the minimum is(e.g. HP DL-580, IBM E-Series 445):

quad CPU (2.8 Gh Xeon or greater)

4-6 Gb RAM

dual internal 36/72 Gb 15k disks in RAID I

dual HBA cards for SAN disk.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Hi Rudy,

Thanks for your feedback.That really help me to get started.

by the way.. how large is your database currently and how frequent that the users pull reports from it?

• Just to throw in my 2 cents worth. Our server is a Dual 3Ghz with 2GB RAM. 

For the last few weeks we've been running out 900+ reports to PDF's via the web service. The vast majority of the reports are 1-2 pages. During the time that these reports are being rendered and distributed the service is consuming a lot of CPU cycles and RAM. Close but not quite flatlining the box. Once the distribution is complete everything returns to normal.

The server also runs a couple of instances of SQL Server that support other business applications. Based on the current load, it looks like we'll be bumping the server up to 4GB RAM in the short term. Maybe even moving the reporting services functionality to a QUAD CPU machine.

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• It seems from a performance thresh hold perspective Phil's information is of more value. Our RS database is less than 2 Gb. We only run 'on demand' reports for MOM and SMS reporting. The user base presently is only 8 people.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• HI Rudy

how did you split the Rs /SQL and IIS services ?

as in how did you piont every thing to the right place, this is where i would like to go , at this stage all i have is our product sql box with IIS and RS? and would like to split all of that load up between out IIS internal web box and sql server.

your thoughts would be great thanks

Todd

Kindest Regards,

Todd,non est vivere sed valere vita est

• I have not forgotten your request Todd ... been a tad bit busy on this end ...

• HI rudy

yeah thanks for your email

look forward to hearing from you

i know about being busy....

our box just had to have everything replaced so im busy trying to catch up on other work

would still like to be able to split services of my DB box and onto something more suitable...

time will tell as it runs Ok for now

thanks for your support

cheers

todd

Kindest Regards,

Todd,non est vivere sed valere vita est

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply