Hard drive SSD

• Hi,

We currently have a 1TB raid 10 array under 1 logical drive D:.

Finally I was heard that we need to do something since EVERYTHING (data, log, tempdb, backup) is on the same drive :doze:

I am thinking to get new disk and do a major reorganization in the files we have.

What about getting some SSD drive instead of regular hard drive. Any info? Recommendation? Suggestions?

Thanks,

• You could see performance gains if you did get an SSD. Better yet, try getting a fusionIO card. Check them out at fusionio.com[/url]. Think of an SSD on steroids and that is what you get with a FUSION-IO card.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (4/6/2011)

You could see performance gains if you did get an SSD. Better yet, try getting a fusionIO card. Check them out at fusionio.com[/url]. Think of an SSD on steroids and that is what you get with a FUSION-IO card.

Holy... <gasp gasp gasp>

If those specs are even remotely accurate... oh. my. god. Daddy wants.

Odd, they don't say how much storage is on the Octal. Looks like the IoDrive Duo costs about 7.5k/320 gigs. If that's as fast as they claim, a 640 might handle everything my tempdbs ever needed to do for the rest of eternity. Looks like Tweaktown did some benchmarking on it.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1683/exclusive_look_at_fusion_io_iodrive_pcie_solid_state/index1.html

I don't know if I should shout with joy, or cry.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Craig Farrell (4/6/2011)

CirquedeSQLeil (4/6/2011)

You could see performance gains if you did get an SSD. Better yet, try getting a fusionIO card. Check them out at fusionio.com[/url]. Think of an SSD on steroids and that is what you get with a FUSION-IO card.

Holy... <gasp gasp gasp>

If those specs are even remotely accurate... oh. my. god. Daddy wants.

Odd, they don't say how much storage is on the Octal. Looks like the IoDrive Duo costs about 7.5k/320 gigs. If that's as fast as they claim, a 640 might handle everything my tempdbs ever needed to do for the rest of eternity. Looks like Tweaktown did some benchmarking on it.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1683/exclusive_look_at_fusion_io_iodrive_pcie_solid_state/index1.html

I don't know if I should shout with joy, or cry.

I believe it is 1TB on the Octal.

Learn Extended Events

• Even if you get a faster drive, you're going to realize the most improvement by moving stuff to separate drives. Even with SSD or something else, you will experience queuing (albeit really, really fast queues). Introducing more AND faster drives will be a huge win.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• At my previous gig, we investigated the FusionIO cards. The 320GB card is the fastest of the 4, so we got the demo of 2 320GB cards.

Result: holy freaking God. The specs that talk about it being 1,000 TIMES faster are correct.

Everyone was happy until the owner got the quote. The company is still using regular frisbee HDDs.

• jgoeson (4/8/2011)

At my previous gig, we investigated the FusionIO cards. The 320GB card is the fastest of the 4, so we got the demo of 2 320GB cards.

Result: holy freaking God. The specs that talk about it being 1,000 TIMES faster are correct.

Everyone was happy until the owner got the quote. The company is still using regular frisbee HDDs.

That is the big problem. Upfront cost is hard to swallow. But on the flipside, lower failure rate, faster processing, and lower energy consumption are the intangibles that make it a great choice.

Learn Extended Events

• Here is another option that I just found.

http://www.ramsan.com/products/77

Learn Extended Events

• Even better:

http://www.ramsan.com/products/73

14million IOPS

140 TB

Learn Extended Events

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply