GUID or Int is the best for primary key columns?

• Paul - i'm impress! your links .. are awesome ! ๐Ÿ˜‰ can you share some more of them ? email?

• Marcin Gol [SQL Server MVP] (9/11/2009)

Paul - i'm impress! your links .. are awesome ! ๐Ÿ˜‰ can you share some more of them ? email?

That's very kind of you to say. I confess that I'm not actually that organised - I don't keep snippets or a link database or anything. I generally have to use $SearchEngine to find stuff I have read in the past to link to...maybe one day I will get more efficient? Maybe not ๐Ÿ˜€

• Hi Paul,

So basically what you suggest is:

Log: RAID1

DATA: RAID10

TempDB: SSD ??

Just one FILEGROUP, one data file?

Let the hardware do the job for you cause if try to analyse all the variables (read vs writes, ...) will drive you crazy...

But at least there should be 2 file groups: one for very sensitive data (money transactions, ...) and one for other data so you can have more frequent backups, and faster.... So if I have these 2 file groups on the same raid set will I have performance problems? We have very sensitive data that's write every minute, second, so we need to back it up from 5 to 5 minutes or less...

Thanks,

Pedro

If you need to work better, try working less...

• Pedro,

Yes - you state it well. And yes, there may be other good reasons to use extra file groups.

I am a big fan of extra file groups for all sorts of reasons. Just not those originally discussed in this thread ๐Ÿ™‚

Paul

• Awesome, nice discussion.

Still amazes me how discussions go from point A to point Z, how this one went from the original "GUID or Int is the best for primary key columns?" question to RAID is something that puzzles me ๐Ÿ™‚

Let me spice it a little in regards to original posted question... in regards to: GUID or Int is the best for primary key columns? my take would be, neither one, use natural keys when possible ๐Ÿ˜€

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Oh no you di'int!!!

I'm off before Celko gets here.

Surrogate keys rock.

๐Ÿ˜€

• Paul White (9/14/2009)

Oh no you di'int!!!

told you, I was going to spice it a little ๐Ÿ˜€

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply