GUID as PK with Merge Replication (OK?)

• Working with a client who wishes to finish a system which will use merge replication. I believe I read a caution once about using GUIDs in a database which would be replicated. I think it was for use with just one of the 3 major types of replication....I can't remember if it was merge, transactional, or snapshot. Does anybody have the facts on this? Thanks,

Mark Blackburn

Sacramento, CA

• Merge replication requires that the tables must have a ROW GUID, see "How Merge Replication Works" in SQL Books Online for more in depth info.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• Merge uses a rowguid whose property is specifically set as ROWGUIDCOL ( vs uniqueidentifier ). Other RowGUIDs in the tables should have no affect on it.

• quote:

Merge replication requires that the tables must have a ROW GUID, see "How Merge Replication Works" in SQL Books Online for more in depth info.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

However, if a table does not contain a rowguid then one will be created for you by the snapshot process.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply