Group BY Question

• Hi, I'm working on a query for an SSRS report dataset.

In the report I group by [Category]

I have the query below which gives me the correct "Request Count" when I group by Category

]SELECT

[Category]

,ISNULL(Count(distinct([RawReqTableID])),0) as "Request Count"

FROM [Chase].[dbo].[DataSource]

GROUP BY [Category]

In other parts of the report I need to be able to group by other fields. So I created the query below which groups by additional fields. The problem I'm having is that when I use the query below in the ssrs report and filter only on [category] it gives much higher totals for request count. I've attached sample data, any tips on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Query 2:

SELECT [Date]

,[Month]

,[Day]

,[Year]

,[MMM-YY]

,[Field]

,[Source]

,[Category]

,[SubCategory]

,ISNULL(Count(distinct([RawReqTableID])),0) as "Request Count"

FROM [Chase].[dbo].[DataSource]

GROUP BY [Date]

,[Month]

,[Day]

,[Year]

,[MMM-YY]

,[Field]

,[Source]

,[Category]

,[SubCategory]

• Maybe a naive question, but why most if not all of the grouping in SSRS? Then you can drill up and down in your report. So you would create a stored procedure that had the minimum level of grouping (if you were going to do any), and then you would create a dataset based on the stored procedure. Once in SSRS, you could enable drilldown.

• Thanks for getting back to me on this.

The report I'm creating is for a client, they have a specified format that doesn't include drill down.

What I can't figure out is how I can get the correct counts if I group by only month, but how the counts get much larger if I group by several additional fields in the dataset but only use month to filter on in the ssrs row group.

• Hey, I gave your tip a little more thought, tried it and it did the trick!

Thanks

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply