grant exec on user SS2000 in stored proc

• I am using SS Mgmt Studio 2005 against a 2000 db. I write stored procs and the sys admin wants me to add code at the bottom of the proc, giving EXEC rights to user/role "public" so that he doesn't have to do this manually. I can find code for SS2005:

GRANT EXEC ON TransHistoryAccount20091016_pr TO public

but I can't find anything similar on SS2000. Anyone have a solution? Thanks!

• gardenlady (10/27/2009)

I am using SS Mgmt Studio 2005 against a 2000 db. I write stored procs and the sys admin wants me to add code at the bottom of the proc, giving EXEC rights to user/role "public" so that he doesn't have to do this manually. I can find code for SS2005:

but I can't find anything similar on SS2000. Anyone have a solution? Thanks!

The above syntax works on 2000 also. Have you tried running the GRANT statement on the SS2000 server? Does it give you error?

For more info check this out.

HTH,

Supriya

• Yes I tried it (db_owner) and the sys admin tried it. It doesn't work for either of us.

I'm doing it in a dev environment and when I look at the stored proc, there are no users/roles in the Permissions screen.

• I have the same setup; using SSMS to query SS2000 servers. I ran the grant statement for one of my stored procedures and it worked fine. I am sure you must have done this but can you check to make sure you have the right stored proc name, selecting the right database and instance and have hit refresh.

• Is there only one procedure named "TransHistoryAccount20091016_pr"?

• There's only one procedure with that name. When I right-click on it and go to Permissions, there are no Users or Roles in the top and no Explicit Permissions in the bottom of the window.

Beginning of proc:

USE [prod]

GO

/****** Object: StoredProcedure [dbo].[TransHistoryAccount20091016_pr] Script Date: 10/27/2009 09:13:29 ******/

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

if object_id('DBO.TransHistoryAccount20091016_pr') is not null

drop procedure DBO.TransHistoryAccount20091016_pr

GO

CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[TransHistoryAccount20091016_pr]

@Company INT

,@Accounts CHAR(100)

,@PStartDate nvarchar(6)

,@PEndDate nvarchar(6)

,@AccountingUnit CHAR(100)

,@BegSubAcct INT

,@EndSubAcct INT

,@LRange Bit

,@BalActOptions INT

,@ShowFLCAPCABal BIT

,@ShowAcctBegEndBal BIT

And at the end:

• When I actually run the stored proc (to get data), then I have public in the Users or Roles section of the Permissions window. In the Explicit permissions for publick:

dbo Grantor has Execute permissions (Grant is checked).

• gardenlady (10/28/2009)

When I actually run the stored proc (to get data), then I have public in the Users or Roles section of the Permissions window. In the Explicit permissions for publick:

dbo Grantor has Execute permissions (Grant is checked).

This is happening because your GRANT statement is within the definition of the stored proc. The GRANT statement is executed only when you run your SP not before that. If you don't want that, then specify the grant after the proc definition like this:

USE [prod]

GO

/****** Object: StoredProcedure [dbo].[TransHistoryAccount20091016_pr] Script Date: 10/27/2009 09:13:29 ******/

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

if object_id('DBO.TransHistoryAccount20091016_pr') is not null

drop procedure DBO.TransHistoryAccount20091016_pr

GO

CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[TransHistoryAccount20091016_pr]

@Company INT

,@Accounts CHAR(100)

,@PStartDate nvarchar(6)

,@PEndDate nvarchar(6)

,@AccountingUnit CHAR(100)

,@BegSubAcct INT

,@EndSubAcct INT

,@LRange Bit

,@BalActOptions INT

,@ShowFLCAPCABal BIT

,@ShowAcctBegEndBal BIT

AS

BEGIN

<Your code>

END

GO

GO

And save the file to your source control. Does that make sense?

-Supriya

• The stored proc ends up creating a table of data that populates a report (is a data source for a Crystal report). So I can't do

END

GO

GO

its' more like:

SELECT COMPANY

,NAME

,ACCOUNT

,SUB_ACCOUNT

,ACCT_UNIT

,FISCAL_YEAR

,TMONTH

,VAR_LEVELS

,DEBITS

,CREDITS

,BEGBAL

,RUNBAL

,ACCTBEGBAL

,ACCTENDBAL

,FLCAPCAENDBAL

,POSTINGDATE

,UPDATEDATE

,STARTDATE

,ENDDATE

,SYSTEMCODE

,JE

,TRANSDESCR

,ACCT_UNITNAME

,REFERENCE

,ACCOUNT_DESC

,CONVERT(NVARCHAR(8), ACCOUNT) AS AcctSort

FROM #nisse2

ORDER BY COMPANY

,ACCOUNT

,SUB_ACCOUNT

,ACCT_UNIT

,FISCAL_YEAR

,TMONTH

,POSTINGDATE

GO

• I really don't see any reason that you need the grant statement as part of the Stored procedure execution code. You can put it into a header comment so that it is already there and the person who creates the Stored procedure can just highlight it/execute it from the header after he creates the SP. I do this on some of my Stored procedures.

Putting the grant in the stored procedure itself makes zero sense. The grant could never be executed by the person it is targeting because they can't execute it in the first place.

Seth Phelabaum

Consistency is only a virtue if you're not a screwup. 😉

Links: How to Post Sample Data[/url] :: Running Totals[/url] :: Tally Table[/url] :: Cross Tabs/Pivots[/url] :: String Concatenation[/url]

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply