Grant access to user to run a SQL agent job

• Hello,

I wanted to set up a backup agent job in SQL 2008 instances and instead of scheduling i would like to give the user to kick off the backup job. i do not want to schedule because we dont know when the application process completes and we would like to kick off once their process completes.

Can anyone please provide how to give access to user ?

• There are three roles in msdb, called something like SQLAgentUser, SQLAgentOperator and SQLAgentSomethingElse. Each gives a different level of permissions to a user to do things with jobs. One of them will provide the access you're looking for - you just need to read about them to decide which.

John

• You have a couple of choices.

If you are willing to allow them to run any (local) job, you can add them to the SQLAgentOperatorRole in msdb.

If you want them to be able to run just that one job, then you need to create a separate proc to run the job, and create it with "EXECUTE AS [other_user_name]". Be sure to give user "other_user_name" all backup permissions needed, etc., possibly even sysadmin-level permissions. Finally, give them permission to run that proc, which will in turn run the job.

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP(07, 08, 09) "Money can't buy you happiness." Maybe so, but it can make your unhappiness a LOT more comfortable!

• ScottPletcher (11/14/2016)

You have a couple of choices.

If you are willing to allow them to run any (local) job, you can add them to the SQLAgentOperatorRole in msdb.

If you want them to be able to run just that one job, then you need to create a separate proc to run the job, and create it with "EXECUTE AS [other_user_name]". Be sure to give user "other_user_name" all backup permissions needed, etc., possibly even sysadmin-level permissions. Finally, give them permission to run that proc, which will in turn run the job.

Thanks Scott. It worked using the proc, i just gave him execute permission on that proc.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply