GOOD BOOK OR ONLINE CLASS TO LEARN SQL

• Hello everyone,

I am new to the site and new to programming. Just recently my job moved me to a database minner position. I am confortable with queries in access and excel, however my big thing is : Where/How do I learn SQL besides on the job training.

Does anyone of a good easy to learn book or a website/class where i can get my feet wet in this discipline.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

• Hi,

If you're a programmer guy, you should carve a name into your brain: ITZIK BEN-GAN. Literally anything written by Itzik will make you a professional. Definitely, not the easiest material, but he has an entertaining style, with lot of examples. T-SQL Programming mihgt be the best choice for you.

Good luck! 🙂

• A lot of people on these forums (myself included) will probably suggest that you get yourself acquainted with the documentation that comes with SQL (referred to as "Books Online," or "BOL"). I've even gotten into the habit of opening BOL as soon as I start SQL Server.

Hope that helps!

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• thanks for the prompt response. Where can i get the BOLs from.

• I was in more or less the same boat when I was moved into a BI position. I can't agree more about the advice about Itzik Ben Gan (he's really top flight). I'd also add that while I generally don't appreciate "Recipe" books, I've found that SQL Server 2005 T-SQL Recipes by Joseph Sack to be a very helpful reference point on how to implement various functions.

My company also provides a subscription to Safari Books Online. It's a nice way to browse a lot of titles to find someone whose writing style works for you.

Good Luck!

• a plug for a book that I have not read yet but will be: http://dbasurvivor.com/[/url]. it looks like it will be a good read. it is a book by the SQLRockstar (aka Thomas LaRock).

Shawn Melton
    Twitter: @wsmelton
    Blog: wsmelton.github.com
    Github: wsmelton

• norrisbiney (1/20/2010)

thanks for the prompt response. Where can i get the BOLs from.

BOL comes with SQL Server.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

• norrisbiney (1/20/2010)

thanks for the prompt response. Where can i get the BOLs from.

As Ray stated it comes with SQL Server as an optional install when you install the Desktop Tools. You can also view it online as well through the MSDN site

Shawn Melton
    Twitter: @wsmelton
    Blog: wsmelton.github.com
    Github: wsmelton

• I will tell u that just get any book out there that shows you how to do it then Practice , practice practice

Thirty minutes a day will do just great!

• If you looking to learn just SQL then you could try http://sqlzoo.net/ and definitly use BOL

• briogene (1/21/2010)

I will tell u that just get any book out there that shows you how to do it then Practice , practice practice

Thirty minutes a day will do just great!

I have to second this. The best books in the world won't do any good unless you get some hands-on experience. Any book (or reference material, for that matter) should be used for exactly that -- reference.

Everyone starts out knowing very little (if not nothing) about SQL and gets better with experience. Ask anyone on this forum, and they will tell you that they get better over time.

What I'd suggest is building a test database that you can use to practice. That's what the Northwind DB (usually included with SQL) is for.

• A newbie myself, am in the middle of Ben-Gan's "Microsoft SQL Server 2008 T-SQL Fundamentals". Superior book with core knowledge given in a logically incremental fashion. Let's you know if it is teaching features not in previous Server versions such as 2005. BOL is an excellent reference but not so much as a teaching tool.

• Books Online is a great resource, but what helped me out was to come up with business questions that someone mights ask. Such as, how many widgets did we sell by month sorted by month? I would then refer to BOL for syntax on how to write a select statement.

If you install SQL Server on your desktop you can use the AdventureWorks DB to come up with different business questions or reports that someone might ask.

Like with anything you're trying to learn. Practice, practice, practice!!!

• I think the best book for any newbie is "Murach's SQL Server 2005 for developers". It stays on my desktop. Easy to read, straight forward examples.

Simi

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply