Goals

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (1/5/2011)

Start slow Wayne. When I started running every day, I was in decent shape, but concerned about my knees. I went slow, and low, for about 6 months. I kept to about 1.25mi for that long to build strength. You can do the same thing with walking, whatever. Go slower and less than you think you should, build slowly. Think long ball, building a habit across a year, not weeks.

That's the plan I'm working. I started on a treadmill a few months ago, and have worked up to a half-hour on it at a moderate pace. I'm looking at using an elliptical to increase the workout (and build up more strength), but also lessen the impact. (I keep on bucking the trainer - wants me to push myself harder. I keep telling her no, I'm not willing to risk damaging my knees/ankles over this.) Slow and steady, but keep pushing.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (1/4/2011)

For those of you setting weight goals, I'd discourage that. I think you ought to work on your health, and trying to get to the point where you can do xx, not lose xx weight.

The weight that your body wants to be at will vary, depending on you, your exercise level, diet, etc., and it seems to change over time, as you have a different level of activity. Focus on what you want to do, and then let your body figure out the weight.

My $0.02, and for what it's worth, I run every day, but don't worry about weight. I worry about how I feel.

Kudos on that Steve... I'm not paranoid either but I think we're been slightly brainwashed by weight loss ads to the point we stop focussing on what really matters...

amke sure are body is able to do whatever we want it too and feel great in the process.

• I didn't set any goals for last year, really, but this year I've got a few.

* Get some house projects done. I have a very large old house which we bought about 6 years ago, and began renovating. We seem to be good at the demo, but not good at the finishing! I've got to

- finish upstairs bathroom (I did tile the floor last year, so that's something)

- build kitchen cabinets (this is a must for this year)

- finish remortering the basement foundation (that's actually kind of fun)

- paint... everything

- get the upstairs rewired (I hired this out, but have to get the prep done)

- a bunch of other stuff I don't even want to think about right now.

The exterior really needs a paint job, but I think I'll hire that out also (maybe). There's a lot of surface area. Not how I want to spend my vacations. That's not for this year anyway.

* Spend more time biking. I used to mountain bike alot a few years back, but slacked off last year. I miss being out in the woods riding the trails.

* Cook more. Ok... I want to cook more.. I do. But for some reason (maybe the lack of kitchen cabinets?) I can't seem to find the motivation. Maybe this is the year.

* Just spend more time with the family. Even though we're together a lot, it seems we're all always doing our own thing. My goal here is to try to not be so caught up in my own interests, but find things we can all enjoy together.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply