Global Talent

• "I did not get there overnight, it took me a long time to go through the process of making myself known as accountable and serious"....

Yes - I did that too - the privilege of teleworking was given only after trust was established over a period of time....BUT....within the "same company"...if the job goes away then convincing other prospective employers of your disciplined work ethics and how you've been a successful teleworker becomes a nigh impossible task - it's whistling in the wind - finding those specific employers who have a broader vision and realize that "work is something you do, not where you go" (to quote from the best buy article)..

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• As far as hiring offshore people for DBA or developer jobs, I must say that it is very difficult to find the right people and keep them. You have a 50-50 chance to waste your time and money. Some people will lack communications skills, some people will lack technical expertise and no wonder, the right guys are on high demand, therefore, you get what you pay for.

I totally agreed with you.  I had exactly the same experiences.  However these days I read either a magazine either Time or Money magazine.  The offshore developers got big a raise.   Each year they usually get 20 to 30 %.  Eventually they are not cheap anymore.   In India, they could not find developers that could do the job, they actally had to look for people in Europe.

Sooner or later, maybe those countries will outsource their work back to US !!
  • "Sooner or later, maybe those countries will outsource their work back to US !!"

I think that it'll be outsourced to Canada first so it looks like I'll be working for you guys after all.

• "In India, they could not find developers that could do the job, they actally had to look for people in Europe."

I'm not an expert, but my impression of people in India is that they are highly motivated to learn, much more so than a lot of other parts of the world, but especially the US.  It seems to me that they are well on their way to getting the education they need, either by coming to the US, UK, etc..., or by Companies giving specialized training right in India.  IMHO it won't be long before all development could be done in India.

• Thanks for that vote of confidence Ed...

Being an Indian myself, I do have a couple of Indian friends and have worked with fellow Indians off and on...there have been a few with shoddy workmanship but that's true of everyone, regardless of country of origin - If I had to generalise I would definitely agree with your opinion where you say that "they are highly motivated to learn" - don't know about "much more so than a lot of other parts..."  ...but I have found their work ethics sound and nothing to be ashamed of...

It is distressing to hear though when people here lose their jobs to outsourcing and consequentially all Indians are given a bad rap...

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• I'm not in India and I'm certainly no economist but I have been seeing a disturbing amount of articles coming out about that country saying there are shortages and that other countries are trying to jump into the market (see below).  This analogy is kind of like (and I'm stretching it a bit here) Americans obsession with oil.  We go to where it's cheap and then we suck the well dry and it's off to another cheap location so that the economy of the US is allowed to stay static in a suburban day dream.  Well we want cheap electronics to and be dammed if you raise your prices one US dollar (that’s wall mart’s stand).  India If they are smart will use all this new found wealth to there economy to lift themselves as a nation out of the crud caused by being the 3rd largest country on the planet.  Build the infrastructure create the hospitals because some day soon it seems to me the boom will be over. Oh and fear China.

From India's Looming IT Labor Shortage 12/2005

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/dec2005/tc20051216_530300.htm

" India now accounts for 65% of all information technology work performed offshore and nearly half of back-office tasks such as responding to computer help-desk queries and processing medical claims and credit-card bills"

"The problem, McKinsey argues, is that only about a quarter of India's college graduates are "suitable" for employment by multinationals or their Indian outsourcing partners. The chief handicaps are weak spoken-English skills, especially among graduates of non-elite schools, and the uneven quality of college curricula and faculty."

Or this one

Is India's outsourcing honeymoon over? 08/2005

http://money.cnn.com/2005/08/23/news/international/india_outsourcing/index.htm

"labor crunch and rising wages could erode as much as 45 percent of India's market share by 2007"

"Four years ago, a typical call center employee would have earned between 5,000 to 6,000 rupees ($114- $136) a month. Now it may be up to between 7,000 to 9,000 rupees ($159 - $204) a month," he said. "The rise in labor costs isn't significant yet. What's more important is that these increases so far have not been passed on to clients in the U.S."

But if these costs continue to escalate, he predicts that Indian outsourcing firms will take a hit to their bottom line and eventually start to pass along the increases to their international clients.

• Thanks Mudluck.  I read those articles and I did not remember where I read it.  So I wrote the post that India had shortage of labor but I did not have the website to support it. 

BTW, I agree that a lot of Indians are willing to learn but the best of them come to America or Europe, I know from my previous employment that there are a lot of HI Indians waiting for their green card.  They are very smart and they are not going back to India. 

• Here is an editorial posted on India Daily (1/24/2007) by an Indian national about the myth of American IT labor shortages. Even in India they recognize that it is all about wealthy people exploiting the poor for their own financial enrichment.

http://www.indiadaily.com/editorial/15280.asp

Karen Gayda
    MCP, MCSD, MCDBA

gaydaware.com

• Interesting discussion, but I hope people don't lose sight that it's a global issue, not a US/India one. Today lots of outsourcing is to India, but tomorrow it might be China or even Iraq.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply